Home » Audio » Radio » Help identifying old radio
Help identifying old radio [message #25688] Tue, 03 May 2005 15:22 Go to next message
SteveVA is currently offline  SteveVA
Esquire
Hello! I recently came into possesion of an old radio. I believe it is an Automatic brand radio from what I can tell from the label on the front (it is a little worn off but still readable). This is the only identifying marking on the radio. There is no model number, serial numbr, etc. It is in an ivory colored plastic case (cracked on the top and bottom). Is there a source anywhere where I can get help in identifying the model and year of this radio? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Steve.

Re: Help identifying old radio [message #25689 is a reply to message #25688] Tue, 03 May 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What tubes are used? Can you post a photo?

Re: Help identifying old radio [message #25690 is a reply to message #25689] Tue, 03 May 2005 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveVA is currently offline  SteveVA
Esquire
I'm not sure how to post a picture here, this is my first time posting. There are 5 tubes:

1) Tung-Sol 50L6GT
2) Raytheon 12SQ7
3) RCA Victor 12SG7
4) Hytron Bantam 35Z5GT

The 5th one is behind a vertical silver/metal thing next to the 50L6GT tube and I didn't want to risk taking it out since I really can't reach it too well.

The radio powers up, the 35Z5GT tube lights up as does the light next to the dial. The dial is labeled 'kilocycles' and 'meters'.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Help identifying old radio [message #25691 is a reply to message #25690] Tue, 03 May 2005 22:04 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a pretty common set of tubes for a five-tube radio. The 35Z5GT is the rectifier, the 50L6GT is the output, 12SQ7 is the 2nd detector, the 12SG7 is the IF amp and you probably have a 12SA7 as a detector/oscillator. Does the radio work?

As for posting images, here are some instructions. If you have any trouble, write back and I'll try to help you out. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

Previous Topic: 1940 RCA Victor Map.
Next Topic: Stewart Warner
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:49:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout