Home » Audio » Radio » RCA Victor 7HF5 - Hiss/Humm Troubleshoot
RCA Victor 7HF5 - Hiss/Humm Troubleshoot [message #25639] Mon, 17 January 2005 22:19 Go to next message
Lance Hull is currently offline  Lance Hull
Esquire
Everything seems to work, but I get an annoyin hiss...humm... noise. Is this attributed to its tubes or is it something else?

Also, is this model rare? I can't find any information on it.

Re: RCA Victor 7HF5 - Hiss/Humm Troubleshoot [message #25640 is a reply to message #25639] Tue, 18 January 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll bet you have some old caps. Have you checked them? Are they the original ones or have they been replaced?

Re: RCA Victor 7HF5 - Hiss/Humm Troubleshoot [message #25641 is a reply to message #25640] Tue, 18 January 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the response! With regard to caps, I do not know where to begin. I just purchased this at an auction. I'm definitely a "newbie," so your further guidance would be dearly appreciated.

Re: RCA Victor 7HF5 - Hiss/Humm Troubleshoot [message #25642 is a reply to message #25641] Tue, 18 January 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You'll need to open it up and look inside. Be careful because there are high voltages in a tube circuit, much higher than in transistor radios. If you're not comfortable with a little light troubleshooting, you might want to take this to a repair shop. But if you're careful, just shut the radio off, open it up and take some photos of the components soldered under the chassis. Post the photos here and we might be able to see if they are old and need replacement.

Re: RCA Victor 7HF5 - Hiss/Humm Troubleshoot [message #25643 is a reply to message #25642] Tue, 18 January 2005 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I had my dad open the back of it up on Sunday. He knows electronics and how to work with voltage, thank God. Okay, what we seen is that there was nothing wrong with the speakers, as we tested them. When we turned on the victor, all of the tubes did light up, the color was a dark orangish color, almost red. One of the tubes had a sticky, light brown color substance located around the area of the tube where you insert it. My dad seems to think that this problem exists were all the copper wiring, coiling compartment is. Does this sound like an area that the annoying noise could be attributed to? Should I replace all the tubes for good measure? What is a good website to find these replacement parts? And lastly, is this model rare? I spent about 4 hours researching on the net last night and couldn't find one picture of it.

I do very much value your guidance. It is much appreciated.

Re: RCA Victor 7HF5 - Hiss/Humm Troubleshoot [message #25644 is a reply to message #25643] Tue, 18 January 2005 16:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
As to rarity, I really can't say. But they aren't making 'em any more, so it sure isn't going to become any more common.

About the sticky substance, it's probably the electrolyte from the capacitors. I'd clean everything and inspect the capacitors, replacing those that are suspect. I like to purchase a set of tubes for every radio I have, just to have a spare set. But surprisingly, the capacitors are more likely to be the problem than the tubes in a radio of this age.

Previous Topic: Montgomery Ward Airline
Next Topic: horn speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:11:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout