Home » Audio » Radio » Atwater Kent Model49 Speaker Horn
Atwater Kent Model49 Speaker Horn [message #25602] Tue, 09 November 2004 20:06 Go to next message
Fred Royle is currently offline  Fred Royle
Esquire
Hi! I just purchased a Atwater Kent Model 49 and would like to start shopping for the speaker that normally went with it. Was there a specific speaker that was used? As well, since it was battery operated is there an inexpensive way to get it operating?
Thanks for any assistance!
Fred

Re: Atwater Kent Model49 Speaker Horn [message #25603 is a reply to message #25602] Tue, 09 November 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Fred,

For the speaker, you're going to just have to watch eBay for piece-parts radios. It maye be a long wait and tought to find. You are also smart to post here; Someone may see this post in time and pop up saying they have one and are willing to sell it.

Sometimes I find parts of the era that are suitable replacements. Tubes, caps and coils are relatively easy to replace with new or NOS parts. But sometimes the speaker is best repaired or replaced with another from a salvaged radio.

About the power supply, you might make a simple rectified transformer suply. That's pretty easy. Do you happen to know what voltage(s) you need?

Wayne

Re: Atwater Kent Model49 Speaker Horn [message #25604 is a reply to message #25603] Wed, 10 November 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fred Royle is currently offline  Fred Royle
Esquire
Wayne,
Thank you for your response. As far as the speaker, I'm considering the E-2 or E-3 and have already been looking on E-Bay as well as other places. Do you think that is the speaker to use?
Secondly, I have no ideas as to the voltages-I don't see any markings on the unit.
Fred

Re: Atwater Kent Model49 Speaker Horn [message #25605 is a reply to message #25604] Thu, 11 November 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Fred,

I think that if you can find an original E-2 or E-3, that would be nice. It's definitely the direction I'd go for a complete restoration. But you can use another speaker while you're searching for an Atwater Kent. You'll need one with a built-on plate matching transformer or add your own. All the old tube radios were built that way.

As for the voltages, according to the schematic, the Model 49 used 67 volts supplied by an external power unit. It provides power for the tube filaments as well. If you don't have a power unit, you might look for one while searching for an Atwater Kent loudspeaker. In the meantime, you could possibly build one to get you going.

Wayne

Re: Atwater Kent Model49 Speaker Horn [message #25627 is a reply to message #25605] Fri, 14 January 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john lafleur is currently offline  john lafleur
Esquire
I have an Atwater kent model 49 with out speaker. What is it worth?

Re: Atwater Kent Model49 Speaker Horn [message #25628 is a reply to message #25627] Fri, 14 January 2005 18:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm not sure, really. Maybe someone else will chime in. Is it working and in good condition?

Previous Topic: Grille cloth - how to fasten to cabinet?
Next Topic: Montgomery Ward Airline model 62-307 or 407
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:58:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout