Home » Audio » Radio » Help with identification - Emerson
Re: Type 43 tubes and others [message #25597 is a reply to message #25595] Sat, 02 October 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Yes, I wholly agree with you. And couldn't express these things more eloquently. The past is such a draw for a Romantic Welshman like myself!

Here's a link to a photo of that old clock I mentioned before. My oldest Big Ben -- from 1913.

Still ticking along. Think of the history that thing has seen.

All the best,
Mark

Re: Type 43 tubes and others [message #25598 is a reply to message #25597] Sun, 03 October 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What a cool old clock. Ticked through all the major events of the last century. A true time machine.

Model 38 perhaps? [message #25599 is a reply to message #25598] Wed, 06 October 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I received an email from a fellow who thought my radio looked very close to an Emerson model 38. Same cabinet (made by Ingram) and grille work. Except, he noted, the Emerson model 38 has only two knobs.

Thus, he speculates a modified version because of the shortwave.

I asked him to send photos, if possible.

Mark

Re: Model 38 perhaps? [message #25600 is a reply to message #25599] Wed, 06 October 2004 17:39 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cool! That may very well be the case. I found several models in the Rider collection that I thought were close to what you had too, but none that were exact matches. So I kind of think the same as you, that your radio may be modified from how it was sold when it was new.

I have a few old tube radios like that myself, where someone had obviously swapped parts out in the past. Not just replacing tubes, mind you, but actually substituting them for different types and rewiring. One had even swapped an entire chassis, and that may be the case for you. On one of my radios, I put everything back stock but the others, I just made them work as they were and enjoyed them.

Wayne

Previous Topic: Crosley tube radio
Next Topic: Hi Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:52:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers