Home » Audio » Radio » Atwater Kent radio restoration
Atwater Kent radio restoration [message #25567] Tue, 24 August 2004 21:06 Go to next message
dnandy is currently offline  dnandy
Esquire
I just picked up an Atwater Kent radio at an estate sale. It doesn't work but the tubes glow. It is beautiful so I want to make it work again. Should I replace the tubes?

Thanks in advance,

David

Re: Atwater Kent radio restoration [message #25568 is a reply to message #25567] Tue, 24 August 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi David,

You may have a tube problem. Probably the best thing to do is to test them on a tube tester to be sure. Then again, it's nice to have a spare set of tubes, so you might just buy them and replace them one at a time to see if you can isolate a defective tube. Might swap them all at once just to see if its a tube or not. If so, then start putting the old ones back in until the radio no longer works. You may have more than one bad tube, so try 'em all that way.

But don't be surprised if it isn't a tube at all. If you buy them all, do so without expectation. You will have a spare set of tubes at the least. You may find that the capacitors have gone bad or that you have a defective field coil in your speaker. If the tubes aren't what is causing your problem, I'd check the capacitors. If they are original, then they're almost certainly bad.

Wayne

Re: Atwater Kent radio restoration [message #25708 is a reply to message #25568] Mon, 13 June 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geoff Kearley is currently offline  Geoff Kearley
Esquire
I have an Atwater Kent 145 and the capacitors are swollen. They appear to have leaked and dried out. Would you please tell me where I could find capacitors for this radio? The tubes seem to be more common. It is my grandmother's and I would like to restore it to working condition.
Geoff Kearley
Topsail, Newfoundland
Canada

Re: Atwater Kent radio restoration [message #25709 is a reply to message #25708] Mon, 13 June 2005 15:02 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Replace the capacitors with polypropylene capacitors of the same value. They are pretty common, so you can get them from any electronics supplier.

Previous Topic: 1933 Stewart Warner 1261 "York" Question
Next Topic: Just bought a RCA Victor Radio 8r74
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:33:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout