Home » Audio » Radio » Crosley tube radio
Crosley tube radio [message #25552] Mon, 24 May 2004 05:12 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Crosley Radio

This morning, I'm listening to my Crosley radio, circa 1930. I haven't quite figured out it's exact production date or model number but it was an easy restoration since the wiring was basically intact. Just re-wire with new cloth insulated stranded wire, and replace the tubes and capacitors with NOS tubes and polypropylene caps.

I saw a radio just like this on the movie, "Infinity," which was about physicist Richard Feynman and starred Matthew Broderick and Patricia Arquette. I always think it's cool when I see one of these old radios in a movie of the era.

Re: Crosley tube radio [message #25581 is a reply to message #25552] Tue, 21 September 2004 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hi Wayne,

A really cool radio indeed! As for seeing this radio in a movie, I get a similar effect when I see one of my old Westclox Big Ben alarm clocks on a table in a magazine.

I have one that's over 91 years old -- it still looks great and keeps good time.

I have a couple old Sunbeam "Mixmaster" stand mixers that date from the early 1950's --- again, still fully functional!

I doubt if much of anything manufactured today will even be around 91 years from now -- let alone funtioning.

Mark

Re: Crosley tube radio [message #25585 is a reply to message #25581] Tue, 21 September 2004 21:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Your Westclox sounds really cool! Post a pic, will you?

My parents have a very old clock that looks like a grandfather clock but only one foot tall, made for standing on a table or something. It must be 120 to 150 years old, and has intricate woodwork. It's really attractive and interesting, and it works too. I don't know anything more about it than that. Sure is neat though!

Previous Topic: Stereo FM Tuners
Next Topic: Help with identification - Emerson
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:40:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout