Home » Audio » Radio » Early stereo radios
Early stereo radios [message #25512] Wed, 10 December 2003 04:16 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out this cool link to early stereo radios. I refirbished an early AM/FM tube radio, which I thought was interesting because it was a tube radio that tuned the FM band.

Re: Early stereo radios [message #25515 is a reply to message #25512] Fri, 19 December 2003 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Bavis is currently offline  Tom Bavis
Esquire
I have TWO stereo tube radios (Silvertone) and a junker German stereo radio (without multiplex adapter) that probably isn't worth fixing. I haven't been able to GIVE away the spare Silvertone (picked it up for parts, don't really need any...)

Re: Early stereo radios [message #25516 is a reply to message #25515] Sat, 20 December 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for posting a link to your site. I really like your radios. Your Stromberg Carlson's are wonderful.

1937 [message #25520 is a reply to message #25512] Sat, 10 January 2004 18:41 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Mark Margiotta, Akhilesh Bajaj and I were talking about old FM radios and the FM band this evening, and we decided to look up the date when the FCC first established the FM band for commercial broadcast. We found it to be 1937. So in fact, there were several years that the FM band was used when tubes were used in radio construction. FM didn't gain popularity until after transistors became popular, but it was commercially available.

Previous Topic: Very Radio
Next Topic: Stewart Warner R452 (Canadian made)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:24:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio