Home » Audio » Radio » old rca wood shortwave
old rca wood shortwave [message #25507] Wed, 19 November 2003 21:56 Go to next message
Ski is currently offline  Ski
Esquire
Hello, A friend recently dropped off an old rca wood radio. It is similar to a 1940 rca in shape/form and assembly. It is a shortwave rig. What I found on it is RC511, OY30. That was on the front of the chassis. On the back is a partial decal and was able to come up with a serial no# of 040851 plus some no# above that 550731. Not sure about the first two 5s tho.It has 4 pots across the bottom missing knobs and 5 or 6 pushbuttons above the speaker grill, which is missing, also the pushbuttons are missing. The radio cabinet wood is in surprisingly good shape.There is also a decal/sticker on the bottom that appears to have a small schematic. All the tubes are there. Can anyone help me identify this, at least somewhat. Don't have a digital cam.

Re: old rca wood shortwave [message #25508 is a reply to message #25507] Tue, 02 December 2003 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Tell me what tubes are installed in the radio. I have about four RCA tube radios and they are all very similar. RCA designers tended to retain the chassis and re-use it in several models.

Re: old rca wood shortwave [message #25509 is a reply to message #25508] Sat, 06 December 2003 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Wayne and thanks for the reply. I did some searching on the net and found out it is a model 18T, I think a 1940. This one is missing knobs and pushbuttons and the back panel. The grill is a coble job. All switches are there. Speaker is in shreds. Be a cool radio if I can find the needed parts. SKI

Re: old rca wood shortwave [message #25510 is a reply to message #25509] Sat, 06 December 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your radio sounds really great. Check Antique Electronic Supply for the knobs. They stock a bunch of different kinds, and I think you'll find what you need.

For the speaker, I think I'd look at a couple of options. One is to recone, possibly retaining the stock voice coil and former as well as the stock field coil. If the windings are good, maybe a competent speaker repair shop can replace just the cone and glue the new one to the existing voice coil former.

Another option is to look watch eBay auctions for old tube radios that aren't in good condition and that are selling for $10.00 or $15.00. You'll find lots of radios like this there. Write to the seller and ask the condition, size and configuration of the speaker. Some sellers may not take the time to look at the speaker, but many will. If the back of the radio is open - as it is in many cases - then one can easily look at the speaker and measure it with a hand ruler. If you find one that has a field coil and measures the same size, you may have something to work with. You might buy it and take the chance that it can be used; You'll get other spare parts this way too, and might be able to find the pushbuttons.

It's sort of like a "grab bag" trying to find replacement parts, if you know what I mean. Finding a speaker that has the exact mounts that you need might be difficult, and sometimes the field coils aren't quite the same. But my experience is that the field coils and supply circuits in these table radios are pretty forgiving in this regard.

Lots of these radios have no back panels; Seems common for them to be missing. But I have replaced backpanels with fiberboard having holes for hangers. It is a very common material that you'll find in almost every builders supply store. I see it a lot in garages and storage rooms, where the holes are used to mount hangers that hold yard tools and what-not. You can buy this in sheets for just a couple dollars, and cut it down to the size you need.

I bought a sheet of about 4 square feet and had the builders supply cut it down to sections of 8" x 12", for radio sized backpanels. Cut it to fit the radio, and then cut any holes needed for AC and antenna wires. Sometimes, the loop antenna is fastened with screws or glued on. At any rate, once the panel is fabricated, and mounted, it looks appropriate and the holes allow ventillation for tubes.

Re: old rca wood shortwave [message #25511 is a reply to message #25510] Tue, 09 December 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the tips Wayne. I am watching ebay for a parts rig. I will get all the other repairs done while waiting for one. I have fixed up a couple older Ham radios which I use regularly but nothing this old. It should be fun. Chris

Re: old rca wood shortwave [message #25514 is a reply to message #25511] Fri, 19 December 2003 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How's the radio coming?

shortwave transmiter [message #25619 is a reply to message #25510] Mon, 10 January 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adeola sunday is currently offline  adeola sunday
Esquire

dear sir
am using saeson congratulate you for well done job in electronic am one the people like electronic pratica i mean like counstructing panel at home pleas hellp me by send me the wood panel home radio which i could used comunicate or send to the international

Re: shortwave transmiter [message #25620 is a reply to message #25619] Tue, 11 January 2005 06:27 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry, I misunderstood you. Can you please say again?

Previous Topic: I would like to know the year of making of this GE X340...
Next Topic: Stewart Warner Model 01-6G1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:20:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout