Home » Audio » Measurement » Neutrik Microphone
Neutrik Microphone [message #25251] Mon, 21 January 2008 19:04 Go to next message
Ed Form is currently offline  Ed Form
Esquire
I need to use a Neutrik 3382 measurement microphone for a week or so while I get my usual mic serviced and recalibrated. The spec sheet says to phantom power it with 15-30volts but my soundcard input has 48V phantom supplies - everything seems to have 48V now. Does anyone know if the microphone will be OK at the higher voltage?

Re: Neutrik Microphone [message #25252 is a reply to message #25251] Wed, 23 January 2008 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a good question, and I think you might want to contact NTI and ask them. I would guess it would probably work, but it may affect its performance. That would bring your measurements into question, which makes it sort of missing the point to even use it. So I'd call NTI.

There is one other thing you might consider. The phantom supply is provided through series resistors on pins 2 & 3, usually 1kΩ to 10KΩ each pin. You could put shunt resistors across each pin from 2-1 and from 3-1 to reduce the phantom voltage. Be sure they are perfectly matched, equal value resistors. You could put them on a microphone cord or on a little pigtail adapter. I wouldn't go smaller than 1KΩ to reduce the effect of line impedance but I don't think you'll have to go that low. If the phantom supply source impedance is 4.7KΩ. then a 4.7KΩ resistor in shunt will cut phantom voltage in half. You can always connect the resistors across pins 1-3 and 2-3 and measure the voltage across those pins to make sure they're between 10v and 30v before connecting the microphone.

Re: Neutrik Microphone [message #25253 is a reply to message #25252] Wed, 23 January 2008 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the reply, most helpful.

I will try to speak to the Neutrik people, although the unit is no longer catalogued. Perhaps they will still know the answer.

Ed Form

Re: Neutrik Microphone - an introduction. [message #25254 is a reply to message #25253] Wed, 23 January 2008 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
It's dawned on me that Ive been rather rude in not introducing myself to the forum: so here goes...

I'm Ed Form, based in Suffolk in the UK, and I've been around the audio business for some while. In a past life I was technical director of Tannoy, and, before that, technical director of Celestion. I'm not really connected to the audio business these days, except as an occasional consultant, but I haven't lost my love of all things audio.

I hope to see you all in the forum on a regular basis, now that I've found it.

Re: Neutrik Microphone - an introduction. [message #25255 is a reply to message #25254] Thu, 24 January 2008 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice to meet you, Ed. I must say I'm impressed with your career accomplishments. I'm a hobbyist that builds speakers and kits as sort of a side business. Me and a few of the regulars around here decided to start this website a few years back. Thanks for writing and please visit often. I hope you become a regular here too.

Re: Neutrik Microphone [message #25272 is a reply to message #25253] Wed, 30 April 2008 17:15 Go to previous message
Esquire
After a lot of soul-searching, and in the clear understanding that any bad outcome meant buying a new microphone, I tried the Neutrik at 48volts and it has now run since late January, five days each week, and powered all day with no trouble at all.

Comparative measurements indicate a sensitivity gain of just over 1dB, and I can't see any change in frequency response at all.

Previous Topic: Soundcard worries
Next Topic: Measuring Mmd
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:20:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout