Home » Audio » Measurement » Your favorite measurement system
Your favorite measurement system [message #25137] Wed, 10 December 2003 20:39 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What's your favorite system?

LEAP? CLIO? LMS? TEF? Smaart? Praxis? How about Speaker Workshop? JustMLS? Others?

What test microphone(s) do you prefer?

Gee nothing that fancy! [message #25138 is a reply to message #25137] Fri, 12 December 2003 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Hello Wayne. I just use an SPL meter and a Behringer 8024 in the RTA mode. Can get a lot done with this combo. I have considered the PC based systems but my dinasour PC has to give up the ghost first.

Re: Gee nothing that fancy! [message #25139 is a reply to message #25138] Fri, 12 December 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Robert!

Good to see you here!

The PC-based measurement systems are all pretty inexpensive, and PC's are too. So that's pretty cool. Speaker Workshop is free and works pretty well.

I think it is also important to find ways to verify one's measurements in one way or another. I often compare my measurements with those made by someone else as a sanity check.

Wayne

Re: Your favorite measurement system [message #25142 is a reply to message #25137] Wed, 17 December 2003 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
I use Speaker Workshop with calibrated WM60 mic on long brass barrel & Wallin jig & preamp - seems to work ok. Sometimes I use Smaart Live for real-time tweaking/adjusting/experimenting.

cheers

Re: Your favorite measurement system [message #25145 is a reply to message #25137] Fri, 02 January 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny is currently offline  Johnny
Esquire
Praxis by Liberty Instruments and Iasys by Audio Control for componets.Smaart Live for loud.

Re: Gee nothing that fancy! [message #25152 is a reply to message #25139] Sun, 28 March 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJ is currently offline  AJ
Esquire
I currently use LAUD V2.2. It was cheap at time of purchase and it
enables one to make accurate F.R. plots.Much cheaper then MLSSA of TEF.The only downside is that the H.T. is not correct.
I think this is due to the souncard's antialiasling filtering which causes early phase shifts.
The other problem is that the manufacturer has moved on to PRAXIS
and doesn't seem to want to support the older LAUD anymore!?

Hmmm one wonders what will happen when PRAXIS gets superceeded??

Re: Gee nothing that fancy! [message #25153 is a reply to message #25152] Sun, 28 March 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've seen a lot of data charts made by Praxis, so it looks to me like it's gaining a pretty large following.

I wonder if Liberty Instruments would upgrade you to something else for a reasonable fee to keep you current? It seems to me that the best customer of a software product is a satisfied user of an earlier version. So it would make sense to keep 'em happy and upgrade them for half price or something like that.

Re: Your favorite measurement system [message #61373 is a reply to message #25137] Fri, 13 November 2009 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juniorjbl is currently offline  Juniorjbl
Esquire
Just joined and found this thread. I am trying Soundeasy V16. working through the tutorial from John K. Never done this before but really want to learn how to do this. Soundeasy looked very full featured to me even though it is somewhat hard to learn.
Re: Your favorite measurement system [message #63959 is a reply to message #25137] Tue, 31 August 2010 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
As far as measurement systems go, I have been using LMS "forever" (at the time I bought it, I was told my board was the last board of the 1st 100 made, or something to that effect. Chris Strahm says they've sold 55,000 of them. Pretty amazing!)

LinearX is coming out with a new system, the LX-500, which will be (it looks like) LMS on steroids, and USB based. A company I do consulting work for is likely going to have me try it out at some point - maybe I can report back then.

S&L's "Woofer Tester Pro" is very good and very reasonably priced. Many cool features - it does a LOT more than test woofers - that is for sure. I'll be trying it on Win7 very soon... Their "Speaker Tester" is also an excellent choice, if you do not need to do large signal T-S testing.

Praxis (by their own information) requires workarounds to workarounds to workarounds to run on Vista or Win7. I have not had much luck with that, or the time to figure it out!

LEAP 5 is not really a measurement system, of course. It's great, but Leap 5 (complete) has 1304 pages of user manual. I believe this is what's called a serious learning curve.

Also I would note that Chris Strahm of LinearX pretty well pooh-hoos all the PC-sound-card based systems as being nowhere near "instrumentation quality" due to the sound cards themselves. Of course, they compete with him. I'm inclined to think that, for the money, if your budget is tight, having a really good, stable mic, and having a good setup / taking care in measurements (and crosschecking), makes more difference than whether you have instrumentation quality electronics in the measuring system. That's depending on what you are trying to do, of course.

FWIW, S&L's systems essentially use a custom dedicated purpose sound card of their own design & mfgr., and from what I've seen in my usage, it's pretty good. (Keith, if I have not described this correctly, set me straight!)

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: Your favorite measurement system [message #63960 is a reply to message #63959] Tue, 31 August 2010 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, we're doing almost the same thing - I have LMS and have been using it for a long time, but also bought the WTPro a few years back because of the ICD. I use it for development work.

Previous Topic: computer card/slot confusion
Next Topic: Good Speaker Bad Speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:42:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout