Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Best speakers
Re: Best speakers [message #67808 is a reply to message #25092] Mon, 23 May 2011 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forest is currently offline  Forest
Chancellor
I'm looking into the same thing. I have old wired Cerwin-Vega brand speakers. My amplifier is starting to go out so I am looking at replacing the entire system. I have heard great things about Bose speakers but honestly they are out of my price range. Where would I look to find professionally refurbished ones? I would have no problem compromising with that option. Thanks for your help.
Re: Best speakers [message #67822 is a reply to message #25092] Tue, 24 May 2011 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would avoid Bose at all costs. For that rice JBL mops the floor with them. I consider them the worst speaker brand in existence bar none.

I wouldn't hook up wireless either unless it is sending a bit-for-bit digital signal from the amp/source to the speaker.

Re: Best speakers [message #67843 is a reply to message #67822] Wed, 25 May 2011 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Adveser wrote on Tue, 24 May 2011 09:04
I would avoid Bose at all costs.

Here's a Bose Acoustimass review: http://nyet.org/bose/
Re: Best speakers [message #67844 is a reply to message #25092] Wed, 25 May 2011 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe the original question was about wired versus wireless speakers. Wireless speakers are more expensive because, in addition to the speakers themselves, you are paying for a transmitter, a receiver and a dedicated amplifier for each speaker. They are useful in some surround sound applications because they solve the problems of running wires to the surround speakers in some rooms. In reality, to make them affordable manufacturers usually use very cheap electronics connected to underperforming speakers.

You will get the best performance for your money using wired speakers from a name brand speaker manufacturer such as Klipsch, Infinity, JBL, Polk, etc. Also be aware that there's a huge difference in the sound quality of each of these brands' least expensive speakers versus the more pricey models. You don't always get what you paid for, but you never get what you didn't pay for. Laughing
Re: Best speakers [message #67846 is a reply to message #25092] Wed, 25 May 2011 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I beg to differ sir, I have 140 bucks in my system, not counting my computer. Smile

Add another 100 for the headphones.

Re: Best speakers [message #67847 is a reply to message #67843] Wed, 25 May 2011 12:07 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
AudioFred wrote on Wed, 25 May 2011 03:13
Adveser wrote on Tue, 24 May 2011 09:04
I would avoid Bose at all costs.

Here's a Bose Acoustimass review: http://nyet.org/bose/

Yeah, that looks ugly. At least cheap junk is advertised as such more or less. I always have to bring up when someone mentions Bose who reviews them. Companies they advertise with that are not audio publications and that do not have a single person qualified to test speakers or has the ear training to do so on staff.

I wouldn't trust consumer reports to tell me what which Guitar or amp to buy and this is pretty much the parallel with Bose.

Previous Topic: Recording room for voice overs
Next Topic: Looking for a Visual
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:43:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout