Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Speakers on Sand?
Speakers on Sand? [message #25084] Sun, 27 May 2007 08:35 Go to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
I've heard of positioning guitar amps on pieces of wood in trays of sand to reduce vibration and noise on other floors and rooms.

Do you think that would work for someone using a 5.1 surround sound system with a large woofer in a condo?

Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #25085 is a reply to message #25084] Thu, 31 May 2007 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Yeah you can actually do that and eliminate the vibrations with no problems. I have numerous amounts of concerts and parties that have done when having it inside a place like a gymnasium

Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #25091 is a reply to message #25085] Sat, 08 September 2007 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilipsie is currently offline  Gilipsie
Viscount
Really? This is the second post I've come to read and learned more than I could have imagined.

I've been to many a concerts and never heard or noticed this. I wonder if this is used often.

Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #25105 is a reply to message #25091] Fri, 05 October 2007 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
I mean if you are having a concert in the sand where else are you going to have your speakers at?

Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #65143 is a reply to message #25084] Fri, 03 December 2010 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
XGamer is currently offline  XGamer
Chancellor
I don't think they are talking about having a concert in the sand, but creating bases for the speakers to rest on that have sand in them to reduce vibrations. Great idea.
Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #65220 is a reply to message #25084] Thu, 09 December 2010 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is a lot more common than you think. People with insane SPL requirements typically fill the space in the walls with sand too.

So to answer the query, it's a great idea.

Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #65285 is a reply to message #25084] Wed, 15 December 2010 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
I've heard of the sand trick before but don't you have to dry it out for the maximum effect? Or is there some special type of sand you should use?
Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #65428 is a reply to message #65285] Mon, 27 December 2010 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I suppose dryer sand would dampen the vibrations better. I don't think you really need special sand though; whatever you can get your hands on will do.
Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #65432 is a reply to message #65285] Mon, 27 December 2010 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wonderwoll wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 04:05
I've heard of the sand trick before but don't you have to dry it out for the maximum effect? Or is there some special type of sand you should use?

I think any sand you'd have in the house would be dry. I don't think it makes much difference. The vibrations are being broken up by the deformity of the tiny crystal "rocks" that make up sand. Adding water isn't going to change anything but maybe speed up the transfer between the material a bit.

Re: Speakers on Sand? [message #66812 is a reply to message #25084] Thu, 31 March 2011 13:51 Go to previous message
George in Georgia is currently offline  George in Georgia
Esquire
Speakers on sand? How about sand IN speakers! Razz As I recall back in the 60s Wharfdale, and perhaps others, made their speaker cabinets with double walls, the space then filled with sand. The idea was to suppress resonances; presumably it worked. How about filling speaker stands with sand? Much cheaper than lead shot.
Previous Topic: Best place to put subwoofer
Next Topic: Making a Recording Studio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:05:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout