Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Bookshelves?
Bookshelves? [message #25074] Sun, 29 April 2007 09:18 Go to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
I need to rearrange my computer/mixing station, but I was wondering if you thought full bookshelves with various sized books was a worthwhile makeshift room deadening feature?

Obviously the space is doubling as a living area, too.

Re: Bookshelves? [message #25075 is a reply to message #25074] Sun, 29 April 2007 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Bookshelf full of books of differing "depths" would probably make a very good diffusor.

See link below on how to make a quadratic residue diffusor. I'm not saying arrange your books likewise and put thin partitions in between them; just wanted to show a bookcase-like dedicated room treatment device.

Duke

Re: Bookshelves? [message #25077 is a reply to message #25074] Sun, 29 April 2007 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a good question. I wouldn't know unless I measured a room without books and then measured with books to compare the difference. My gut feeling is it will modify reflections in the upper midrange and treble as Duke has said, staggering standing waves at high frequencies, but I don't think books will have much positive impact in the modal region. You really need large objects that vibrate sympathetically to bleed energy at low frequency for effective damping of room modes.
Re: Bookshelves? [message #25080 is a reply to message #25075] Mon, 21 May 2007 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
I heard when you do you speakers like that, put them in between books, the sound bounces off of them a whole lot better than it would if they were stand alone. You get a better sound.

Re: Bookshelves? [message #25097 is a reply to message #25080] Thu, 27 September 2007 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
Yepper, you want to think about putting your speakers inbetween your books. I had my speakers on the side of my bookshelve but realized that they weren't living up to their potential so I stuck them in between my books.

Re: Bookshelves? [message #25101 is a reply to message #25097] Thu, 04 October 2007 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilipsie is currently offline  Gilipsie
Viscount
Do you think you should put all your speakers on your book shelf?

Re: Bookshelves? [message #25103 is a reply to message #25101] Fri, 05 October 2007 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilipsie is currently offline  Gilipsie
Viscount
I wouldn't I think you should just throw a couple on there and put the rest throughout your room.

Re: Bookshelves? [message #25110 is a reply to message #25103] Fri, 05 October 2007 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
All my speakers are on my bookshelve. I have one of those tall ones with like 7 different shleves. I figured why put them any where else other than the book shlef.

Re: Bookshelves? [message #61938 is a reply to message #25110] Fri, 26 February 2010 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lazarus is currently offline  Lazarus
Chancellor
Interesting. Thanks for this discussion. I never thought before that I can utilize my bookshelf other than to put books in.

@ Duke: Thanks for the link but somehow I couldn't access it. I got an error message when trying it.
Quadratic Residue Diffusers [message #61939 is a reply to message #61938] Fri, 26 February 2010 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, looks like that link is dead. Maybe it is only temporary, or maybe the website is gone for good. Here are another couple links that describe quadratic residue diffusers:
Previous Topic: subwoofer
Next Topic: Distance to furniture
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:57:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout