Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » rigid foam
rigid foam [message #25056] Mon, 27 March 2006 22:25 Go to next message
nodiak is currently offline  nodiak
Esquire
I have access to several 4'x 8' sheets of Johns Manville AP Foil Faced Foam Sheathing. It is 3" thick.

http://www.jm.com/insulation/building_insulation/products/bid0022_ap_foil-faced.pdf

I thought if it is similar to OC 700 series I could strip off the foil and straddle 2' x 8' pieces of it across corners. Could add fiberglass behind it too if helpful. Anyone know,or can tell from the link, if it is useful.

Don

Re: rigid foam [message #25060 is a reply to message #25056] Tue, 28 March 2006 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I didn't see any specs about sound absorption. Maybe buy a sheet and measure absorption at various frequencies.

Re: rigid foam [message #25062 is a reply to message #25060] Tue, 28 March 2006 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Wayne, my friend will give me all I need, which is lucky if it works. I can cut 2 pieces and try them in corners. For measuring all I have is an octave analyzer (old Audio Control D-11), I have to change out preamps to hook it up, will try to find time today or tomorrow. Will do before and after. Is there another measuring tool that is fairly cheap? (Of course just listening to any change is key.)
I will also weigh the rigid board to find lbs/ft3 as that seems to matter?
Don

Re: rigid foam [message #25064 is a reply to message #25062] Thu, 30 March 2006 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyclotronguy is currently offline  Cyclotronguy
Chancellor
You need open cell foam, unless you plan on using this a a resonate panel in a helmholtz absorber.

Cyclotronguy

Re: rigid foam [message #25065 is a reply to message #25064] Thu, 30 March 2006 17:39 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks, just learned that. Had to ask around as I have so much available for free. But it's a no go. Appreciate replies.
Don

Previous Topic: Computer Simulation of Room Acoustics
Next Topic: Speaker placement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:40:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers