Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Floor/room playing with
Floor/room playing with [message #25040] Tue, 20 September 2005 14:50 Go to next message
Kane is currently offline  Kane
Chancellor
Hi,
i hope for some good advice to help me solve a problem:
In my listening room(16 M2 with wood lookalike laminate floor?!) i have done some modifications to treat poor acoustics. I have made 2 bass tubes and some mid frequency absorbers and this helped a lot. After getting the bass and low tones back i experience a heavy vibration from the rooms floor. This cause a lot of vibrations to the speakers, walls and stereo rack. Even my turntable vibrates on top of a massive wall mounted shelf with a sandblaster(tnt-audio)isolator.
Is there anything i can do without rebuilding the floor construction. Carpet - stoneblocks under speakers etc...
Happy for any answers and help.

Espen

Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #25041 is a reply to message #25040] Tue, 20 September 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you have a raised hardwood floor, there is no way to have good acoustics unless you brace and damp the floor. You'll want to get under the floor in the crawlspace, and buttress the floor with braces that preload and support it, making it solid. Then spray several inches of insulation on the underside of the floor to absorb as much sound as possible, to reduce the amount of sound that passes through. What you're trying to do is to reduce the amount of panel resonance from the floor and also reduce the amount of cavity resonance from the crawlspace area.

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #25042 is a reply to message #25041] Tue, 20 September 2005 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kane is currently offline  Kane
Chancellor
Thanks Parham,
forgot to say that the room is in the cellar with a concreete fundament below the floor(laminate type) and no rational way to get under it. I hoped there was a way with some kind of damping?
Espen

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #25043 is a reply to message #25042] Tue, 20 September 2005 20:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you have a concrete slab then you're OK. Maybe your laminate buzzes, if so, peel it up and replace it. But a concrete slab will not cause acoustic problems like a crawlspace over a raised hardwood floor does.

Previous Topic: studio acoustics
Next Topic: Metal wall studs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:18:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout