Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Taming the music room - first reflections
Taming the music room - first reflections [message #25034] Tue, 21 June 2005 05:47 Go to next message
HaknHendrix is currently offline  HaknHendrix
Chancellor
In an effort to tame my listening room, I constructed some base traps using Owens 705FRK - put one sheet on top of the other, with the facing - pointing into the room.

Next item to contend with is the first order reflections. Could someone advise what material - rigid fiberglass, mineral wool etc - I have access to this stuff locally so sourcing it is not a problem. I intend to build a panel - supported by legs, so that I can position it relative to the speakers and the side walls. Is Owens 703 or 705 useful for taming the HF's?

Hakn Sr.

Re: Taming the music room - first reflections [message #25035 is a reply to message #25034] Tue, 21 June 2005 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The position of an absorbent material is as important as its composition. A sheet of material hung a few inches out from the wall is better than one stuck directly on it. You'll find that drapes are very effective, so maybe you can find some attractive ones that suit your needs and look nice too. See chapter 5 of the JBL Sound System Design Reference Manual. Notice the absorrption coefficient chart on page 5-10.

Re: Taming the music room - first reflections [message #25036 is a reply to message #25035] Thu, 23 June 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HaknHendrix is currently offline  HaknHendrix
Chancellor
Wayne - thanks for the link - somewhat technical, but generally most enjoyable.

Still looking for additional input on a materials list for buidling a free standing panel to handle first reflections.

Hakn Sr

Re: Taming the music room - first reflections [message #25050 is a reply to message #25036] Wed, 01 March 2006 16:52 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've just put up Owens Corning 703 2'x4'x2" panels hanging on the wall.According to seevral websites the 2" thickness damps above 500Hz. It's true about standing them off from the wall but I have no choice. Freestanding panels should be better.
I have 2'x2' behind the speakers, 2'x4' at the first reflections and in a corner as well as a stack of 3 40 sq ft rolls of R13 in a corner.
I've never heard better sound. The room is the principal component!
Look for ATS acoustics or sensible sound or just use the links on the Rives site.

Previous Topic: Woofer placement
Next Topic: Computer Simulation of Room Acoustics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:47:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout