Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » floor creak, nasal voice and boomy bass
floor creak, nasal voice and boomy bass [message #25022] Thu, 04 November 2004 11:42 Go to next message
atwater72 is currently offline  atwater72
Esquire
hi all, my tv/sound room has always been a problem. the bass is boomy and voices are like singing in the shower sound. not as bad as that, but definately something like it. when you walk across the floor you can hear it creak and i think that must buzz some too. is there anything that can be done to fix a room like mine?

thanks in advance,
atwater72

Re: floor creak, nasal voice and boomy bass [message #25023 is a reply to message #25022] Fri, 05 November 2004 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wow, sounds like you have several issues to sort out. Could you describe your room and speaker placement? Have you tried any room treatments (bass traps, absorption panels, etc..)? Have you tried to move your speakers around? Maybe something as simple as pulling them out into the room and away from corners would clear up the bass and vocals.

The noisy floor is easy to fix if you have access from underneath. You can either cross-brace the floor joist, shim between subfloor and joist, or use special break away screws from the top. The break away screws are about your only option if access can be had only from the top side and don't want to mess with pulling back carpeting. If, however, you have carpeting and don't mind taking it up, you can screw the subfloor down with many pounds of 2" screws (about every 6".)

One other thing to try: get a test disk and play each frequency at a pretty high volume and listen for sympathetic vibrations. I did this the other day in my listening room and could not believe how many other noises came from stuff in the room itself. At 90 hz one panel on my computer hutch were really shaking.

.....Colin

Any luck? (nt) [message #25024 is a reply to message #25022] Wed, 17 November 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
nt

not yet,..working on it [message #25025 is a reply to message #25024] Thu, 18 November 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atwater72 is currently offline  atwater72
Esquire
thank you for your ideas and sorry i didn't reply last time. i think the floor is the problem. its like a giant guitar sounding board. a friend is helping me redo the floor varnish and we will also cross brace underneath. after the first of the year. ill report back after were done.

thanks again,
atwater72

Re: not yet,..working on it [message #25026 is a reply to message #25025] Thu, 18 November 2004 09:24 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Check closely between the floor joist and subfloor for any gaps. Drive a shims between the two where possible, then cross-brace.

Also, have you tried to put down area rugs between you and your speakers to see if that clears up some of the problems? What about primary reflections off the side walls?

Have fun refinishing the floors! Not an easy job, but well worth the effort....Colin

Previous Topic: Studio Construction Techniques
Next Topic: Damping of concrete backwall.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:53:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio