Home » Audio » Speaker » Maggies compared
Maggies compared [message #24592] Fri, 12 March 2004 12:24 Go to next message
thePath is currently offline  thePath
Esquire
You ever hear a speaker that compared with your Maggies? Ever find a 'conventional' speaker that comes close to the imaging of these babys?

Re: Maggies compared [message #24595 is a reply to message #24592] Tue, 30 March 2004 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill R is currently offline  Bill R
Chancellor
Yes, but email me off line because this is a planer forum and I do not want it to turn into a cone/ribbon/planer/horn/box/diapole controversy.

Email at the link.

I check it every few days

Re: Maggies compared [message #24596 is a reply to message #24595] Wed, 31 March 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thePath is currently offline  thePath
Esquire
Message boards like this are made for controversy and debate, ey? What have you in mind, do tell?

Re: Maggies compared [message #24597 is a reply to message #24596] Fri, 02 April 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BRM is currently offline  BRM
Esquire
Message boards like this are made for controversy and debate

Debate, yes..as long as mis-information is not allowed to run rabid..Controversy, I would say NO..because everyone has a conviction for their beliefs and their are no absolute terms, just opinions.

This said, their are many numbers of loudspeakers (From MY POV) easily capable of better musical performace than Maggies. Diapole radiators themselves emit sound in ways that many acoustic instruments do not or can not and this alone is a form of artificial coloration. Maggies do have a "quality" that many appreciate. This said, whatever floats your boat is what you will enjoy. I on the otherhand have had the luxury of constructing many different types of loudspeakers over the years and when a blank piece of paper lends itself to another project, diapole radiators were surpassed well over 3 decades on my drawing board and I do not plan to revisit that type design. I have listened to Modern Magnepans as well but the diapole design is typically flawed for accurate sound reproduction when it comes to inverse square law, linear dissapation and freedom from cancellation.
My best advice is for you to listen to many different type designs and judge for yourself. Since this is where you are at now...in the feeling that the maggies are for you, it might be wise to stop there if you feel this is the best for your hearing and enjoyment. I on the otherhand have grown above them.

Perhaps it is a personal thing and I have no right to infringe on your belief system..I simply state that in my experience, their are other deigns that please me more. It is for you to decide, this is something I cannot do for you. Too many varables.

Right now, these loudspeakers are the ones I like.

www.4sptech.com

I am quite certain your mileage will vary.

Re: Maggies compared [message #24599 is a reply to message #24595] Thu, 29 April 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello is currently offline  Hello
Esquire
Why off-line to answer his question. You can still answer questions on this site, can't you? You won't be changing the nature of the this forum.

Re: Maggies compared [message #24698 is a reply to message #24597] Tue, 31 May 2005 14:37 Go to previous message
djm is currently offline  djm
Chancellor
Hi it is good to hear someone elses point of view. All is welcome

in my book that is how we all look at things diffrent. Like pointing

out an upgraded tweek for this speaker or what you thought of that

speaker. No one is right or wrong just sharing your hi-fi set ups

or speakers you have had. I helps people at lot. I have a qusetion

for you? I have the mg 12's and they had a buzzing noise in the

woofer part and a little tizzy to. The sound stagee with the planners

pointed out was all over the place. The company told me to put the

planners on the inside and helped alot. My freind does not like them

because he said they had a sound field or stage that makes lets say

a aoustic guitar like like 12 feet hi and 15 feet wide and that is

how the guitar sould sound or look. I love the sound of the maggies

planners one of the clearest and livest just that midbass ans woofer

trouble. Do you have this problem? Thansks jm

Previous Topic: MG1 questions
Next Topic: Need suggestions for computer speakers.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 14:01:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio