Home » Audio » Speaker » Marlboro - seems Scaena agrees w/ your ideas....
Marlboro - seems Scaena agrees w/ your ideas.... [message #24520] Sun, 09 November 2008 02:42 Go to next message
Darkmoebius is currently offline  Darkmoebius
Chancellor
I seem to remember you mentioning that, if possible, you'd use an even smaller midrange driver than your 3" Sammi's.

I just visited their website again to see they've added a review by Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound.

In it, HP mentions that "For the record, the 'three inch' midrange's frame size is four inches, the actual moving diaphragm but two"

To quote the review "Down below, the midrange units' natural roll-off 'starts at 90Hz'...(The mids' natural roll-off is 12dB per octave and then that increases to 18dB.)"

Supposedly, there is no crossover - "a single capacitor removes the midrange from the tweeters. A single coil removes treble from the midrange"

My question is how they are they getting the mid/bass response out of such a small, sealed, driver with no eq?

Re: Marlboro - seems Scaena agrees w/ your ideas.... [message #24521 is a reply to message #24520] Sun, 09 November 2008 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Presumably by "mid-bass" they mean 90hz to 150 hz. Either unit has a set of either 2 or 4 18 inch woofers to go along with the system that covers up to perhaps 150hz that isn't shown in the photos.

My Sammi's normally roll off at ab out 90 but I cross them at 24 db/octave at 165hz.

Marlboro

I'd send Harry a photo of my system but... [message #24522 is a reply to message #24520] Sun, 09 November 2008 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
But I cannot find any email for him.

Mine doesn't cost $40k-60K to build. More like 3%

Marlboro

Here's the stacked 18" woofer columns.... [message #24523 is a reply to message #24521] Sun, 09 November 2008 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darkmoebius is currently offline  Darkmoebius
Chancellor
The Harry Pearson was using two stacked 18" woofers per channel.

Re: Marlboro - seems Scaena agrees w/ your ideas.... [message #24534 is a reply to message #24521] Fri, 26 December 2008 20:19 Go to previous message
hahax is currently offline  hahax
Esquire
Actually the Scaena speakers cross around 60/65 Hz. The midbass is esily handles because a small driver can have a low resonance frequency hich these do since they were designed to spec and there are enough of them to move air to get high sound levels.

Previous Topic: new full range speaker design
Next Topic: Surround speakers for vintage Advents
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:16:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout