Home » Audio » Speaker » Rework Foster / Dayton Neo array
Re: Sammi's plus neos in pvc tubes [message #24489 is a reply to message #24487] Sun, 24 August 2008 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
At this point, you should run one of the programs that tell you what o use.

I know that my system sounds fabulous with no feeling of hearing speakers at all, but only of hearing performers. The problem is that my system was designed as a total package. I don't know if taking the Sammi's and putting them into a giant box where all the back sound interacts with each other would produce the same quality as I have, and I'm not willing to conjecture about it.

So good luck. Use one of the programs. FWIW, the volume on my individual speakers, crossed at 165 and 2400, was a cylinder of 4 inches x 23.5 inches= 295.42857142857116 inches. You don't have to be as precise as I was.

Re: Sammi's plus neos in pvc tubes [message #24490 is a reply to message #24489] Sun, 24 August 2008 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc G is currently offline  Marc G
Chancellor
I understand that the tubing influenced your mids c to c spacing. Do you have issues with lobing since the 3 inchers go up much higher than the 5 inchers I have ? If I was going for tight spacing how many units should go for ? 16, 20, 24.

Re: Sammi's plus neos in pvc tubes [message #24491 is a reply to message #24490] Mon, 25 August 2008 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
MARC,

No problems with lobing that I have noticed. As to spacing, it depends on your nearfield listening, your crossover frequencies, and other parameters from Jim Griffin's white paper.

Marlboro

Decide to do? [message #24492 is a reply to message #24490] Tue, 26 August 2008 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So what did you decide to do?

Re: Decide to do? [message #24493 is a reply to message #24492] Tue, 26 August 2008 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Well, ... I contacted the Sammi seller and those can be had for a bit less like $3.50 each. Tempting. The frames look difficlt to mount / seal with only a 1 mm of edge Ideally I would like to build another simple tower box design but with the option of using a passive crossover with an lpad to balance the respective lines. I want it all.
Seriously I'm giving the current set-up one more workout before it goes in the garbage. I'm wondering if the use of a known driver like the B3s or n would allow me the possibility of using a variation of CC's Scrappy crosovers.

Re: Decide to do? [message #24494 is a reply to message #24493] Tue, 26 August 2008 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The frames are difficult since there are four mounting screw holes on the outside. A judicious use of a little black silicone adhesive in a very tight place makes the seal solid.

I would recommend that you re-read Rod Elliot on the evils of passive crossovers in speaker design.

Are you tossing the Neo's, and everything?

Re: Decide to do? [message #24495 is a reply to message #24494] Wed, 27 August 2008 17:06 Go to previous message
Chancellor
No If worst comes to worst I will junk the cabs and eBay the drivers.

Previous Topic: ART array - What might be the effects of narrowing baffle on
Next Topic: Looking for Good Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 15:12:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout