Home » Audio » Speaker » Imitation is the greatest flattery
Imitation is the greatest flattery [message #24230] Tue, 25 March 2008 21:27 Go to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was interested to see that Selah is designing a new line array. And guess what? He's using a double row of HiVi 3 inch midranges. 16 per row of them in fact(the same number I used) While he's planning on using Fountek ribbons, perhaps he could consider using domes. 30 3/4 inch domes would give a radiating surface area of more than 54 sq/inches and a sensitivity of about 106 db, while only covering the 2500hz and above, and only stressing out by covering 0.033 of the total volume each.

I seem to remember that about a year ago he was telling me that my use of 3 inch wide range speakers could never work. I guess it worked enough for him to design his own model.

Imitation is the greatest flattery!

Marlboro

Re: Imitation is the greatest flattery [message #24231 is a reply to message #24230] Tue, 25 March 2008 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
McIntosh has been doing it for decades...:)

Re: Imitation is the greatest flattery [message #24232 is a reply to message #24231] Tue, 25 March 2008 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, but that wasn't the point.

Re: Imitation is the greatest flattery [message #24235 is a reply to message #24230] Wed, 26 March 2008 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you noticed Rick Craig no longer posts on this forum. That's too bad, because those of us who are passionately interested in line arrays, but who don't claim to be experts, miss his expertise and guidance.

There is a reason for that... [message #24236 is a reply to message #24235] Wed, 26 March 2008 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Fred,

Rick doesn't like to have people disagree with him. Recently he got on his high horse on the Line Array section of Audio Circles, and Danny(the owner of GR Research) took him to task for some of the statements he made. I suspect he'll avoid that forum too now.

I don't mind having him here myself, if he can be nice. But I was the butt of his negative comments about a year ago when I posted my line array and pictures, and my excitement with it. For NO reason at all he attacked me and told me that my system was a piece of cr**p and and that I wasted my time building it. Even when I was supported by JG, he wouldn't back down from his punishing statements. I was never anything but supportive of the man, and never attacked him in any way before that. I admit to pushing back here and on the PE forum.

So if he's going to be nasty, then I'm not too sad he's not posting.

Marlboro

Re: There is a reason for that... [message #24237 is a reply to message #24236] Thu, 27 March 2008 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In your mind there may be a reason, but there's no excuse. Rick has left this forum, and the conflict should end there. The post that started this thread only perpetuates that conflict in his absence.

Re: Imitation is the greatest flattery [message #24239 is a reply to message #24231] Thu, 27 March 2008 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
Actually I got the idea from Jim Griffin and he thought about it after seeing the McIntosh design. After listening to the McIntosh arrays I thought the layout was a good idea but the implementation could be better.

Re: There is a reason for that... [message #24240 is a reply to message #24237] Thu, 27 March 2008 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
I'm back Fred - your posts encouraged me to start posting again.

Re: Imitation is the greatest flattery [message #24268 is a reply to message #24235] Mon, 21 April 2008 00:07 Go to previous message
Grumpy is currently offline  Grumpy
Esquire
And now apparently neither does Marlboro. So we have Rick back and Marlboro gone. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

One sells line arrays that many people can, but many people cannot afford. The other doesn't sell line arrays, but has made one that more people can afford, but for whatever reason, that voice has been lost.

Only the people here can determine for themselves whether both voices should be here, or whether just one is sufficient.

Grumpy

Previous Topic: Audibility Of Loudspeaker Distortion
Next Topic: Useful Speaker Accessory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 04:03:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers