Home » Audio » Speaker » Building an RS8.
Building an RS8. [message #24159] Sat, 09 February 2008 17:11 Go to next message
JH is currently offline  JH
Esquire
Rick set me up with one of his RS8 kits and I've been fighting all winter to put it together. I can officially offer other beginners a tip 'A circular saw is not the tool for this job :)'

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/hjagen/?action=view¤t=RS-8s-3.jpg
Notice the clamp on the front :).

Anyway it's far enough along that I put them together for a listen. Now I know what all the fuss is about! Wow! There is something to be said about the imaging of line arrays.

JH

Re: Building an RS8. [message #24160 is a reply to message #24159] Sat, 09 February 2008 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
....... and the dynamic range and the lack of any distortion at all.

Now all you need it electronic crossovers, preamp, and a separate amp for each crossover range to take it to the next level.

Marlboro

Re: Building an RS8. [message #24161 is a reply to message #24160] Sat, 09 February 2008 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
Yes, the imaging is very good, but I really enjoy the dynamics and all that come with increased resolution. Are you using a sub woofer? You won't miss one until it is in your system, after that you will never want to listen with out one … or a stereo pair.

Tom R.

Building a a set of Calipso's [message #24162 is a reply to message #24161] Sat, 09 February 2008 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I use a three way system: Per channel: 30 dome tweeters cut to a c-to-c distance of about .86 inch, 17 -3.5 inch 3 mm x-max midranges covering the 165hz to 2400hz frequency range, and and 1 -12 inch poly Prop 15 mm x-max 250 watt DVC woofer covering about 20hz to 165hz. The crossover is an analog Rane Ac-23b electronic crossover, 24 db/octave.

The woofers are powered by their own 350 w/ch amp, the mids by their own 175 w/ch amp, and the tweeters by their own 60w/ch amp. Each amp has its own volume controls, so i can limit the amount of volume control that is required by the Rane unit

Each midrange speaker is inside its own completely separate 4 x 23.5 inch tubular enclosure(1/2 outside air space between them), stuffed with 4 lb/cu ft fiberglas wrapped in polyfill batting.

The woofers are in their own slightly small ported enclosure, but the room acoustics compensate, and with the power available to them put out more bass than I need at any music I listen to, and provide plenty of punch I can feel in my gut if I'm so inclined(as I just felt in David Sanborn's STRAIGHT TO THE HEART album.

Marlboro

Re: Building an RS8. [message #24163 is a reply to message #24161] Sat, 09 February 2008 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Agree 100%, the dynamics are what really set these apart from normal speakers. I have one of Victory Wooten's live albums that I can't stop playing. It sounds 'live' in my living room. There are choice pieces on this album where you can hear his strings rattling on the frets, fret farting(what some call it), which is something I have not heard before with this detail, except when playing the bass or at live events. It gives me chills and makes me smile.

Yes. I do have a sub, it's a Dayton Reference 12" underpowered by a partsexpress 'deal of the day' 70watt amp. Rick mentioned that I might want two to keep up with the arrays. He wasn't kidding these things are very sensitive. They quickly leave the sub behind. Looks like I need some upgrades.. Darn! :).

JH

Re: Building an RS8. [message #24164 is a reply to message #24160] Sat, 09 February 2008 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Whoo slow down, need moe money. It helps I'm a very patient man...and I noticed my wife had them cranked when I came home today. I think she likes them too. So maybe I have step one, wife approval, complete. hehe

JH

Re: Building an RS8. [message #24166 is a reply to message #24159] Sun, 10 February 2008 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPH is currently offline  JPH
Chancellor
Built the same project a year ago !! now I added 2 powered subs and electronic xover (behringer DCX 2496 ) and biamplification , I can assure you this is the way to go , there is just no comparison with the passive xover , those monster are really playing music now .

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/jphaggar/RS8andCitrinesubsystem.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/jphaggar/RS8andCitrinesub.jpg

JPH

Re: Building an RS8. [message #24168 is a reply to message #24166] Sun, 10 February 2008 19:14 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Glad to hear that you finally figured it out, JPH.

People who have not gone to separate amplification for each line sincly don't know how muddy their system sounds without it. No matter how big and powerful your amp is, having it go through a passive system screws it up badly.

Marlboro

Previous Topic: Power Taper
Next Topic: lobing in dome tweeters destroying high's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 05:53:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers