Home » Audio » Speaker » so I built these lines with a single tweeter
Re: basement? [message #24151 is a reply to message #24149] Fri, 01 February 2008 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Arthur Janszen invented the electrostatic speaker and marketed under the name Janszen. David is Arthur's son; David restarted the company a few years ago.....C

Re: Janszen $32,000 speakers [message #24152 is a reply to message #24150] Fri, 01 February 2008 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
$32,000 is a big chunk of change for a pair of speakers, but it all depneds who your market is. Are they for me? No. Did they sound exceptional? Hell yeah. One thing to remember is they are plug-and-play. No amps or cables to buy; that has all been optimized.

When David first played them the source was an Ipod. It sounded OK. Then we hooked up a music server with a custom DAC ala Larry Moore (of UltraFi). Much better sound. Then a tube-buffered CD player with integrated volume control was plugged in and the sound was in full glory.

Rick's $8,000 Speakers [message #24153 is a reply to message #24150] Mon, 04 February 2008 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"I get in enough trouble with Rick Craig by telling him that my system performs as well as his $8000 systems"

Have you actually heard Rick's $8K arrays or Danny Ritchie's LS-6 and LS-9 line arrays?

Often on the DIY-oriented forums I see somebody's claim that "my DIY speaker sounds better than a pair of (choose any expensive speaker brand). I've even found myself falling into this trap with some of my budget line arrays, but only until we placed mine side-by-side with speakers that use premium quality drivers and crossover parts. In my experience well designed speakers using top quality parts have always trumped speakers using inexpensive drivers.

One comparison I haven't been able to do is a multi-amped budget array like yours using active crossovers versus a high quality array using a passive crossover. No doubt the active crossover array will outperform the same speaker using a passive crossover, but I doubt it will outperform Rick's $8K arrays or Danny Ritchie's LS-6 and LS-9 arrays. On the other hand, yours might be the exception.

Re: so I built these lines with a single tweeter [message #24176 is a reply to message #24145] Sun, 17 February 2008 14:54 Go to previous message
Dave is currently offline  Dave
Chancellor
Why did you go with 4 separate chambers instead of one common one?

Previous Topic: Favorite dome tweeters
Next Topic: Speakerlab K Horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 08:48:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout