Home » Audio » Speaker » quasi mini array
quasi mini array [message #23324] Fri, 24 November 2006 18:29 Go to next message
mickey is currently offline  mickey
Esquire
Help a newbie with a crossover for a mini-array pls!
Here are the drivers.

12 Aurasound NS3-194-8E
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1338435.10501&pid=1757
and
12 DAYTON ND20FA-6 3
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-030

crossed at 2700

Curt C mentioned that the neos can be crossed lower than 3500 hz if they are used in multiples and use
a higher order(4th
)xover.

The 12 auras will be wired in 4 parallel groups of 3. Yeilding a net sensitity of 97 db and final re 0f 5.2 ohms(accdng. to PCD)
The 12 dayton neos will be wired in 3 parallel groups of 4 drivers. Yeilding a net sensitity of 101.5 db and final re 0f 6.9 ohms(accdng. to PCD)
Baffle would be 6.5."

Of course these are based on the measurements from the websites. Being new to this I dont have measurement stuff to do my own...yet. But i am learning and trying to get my feet wet in this newly found hobby/obsession. Thats how
I learn the most.

Well anyways...so can anyone plss. help me with the crossovers by modeling one? Since I dont have any measurement abilities yet I dont think textbook crossovers are going to cut it. Yes I did build other peoples design and they are great. But not arrays...so a cost effective quasi mini-array(full of tradeoffs of course..the kits costs are not justifiable to the wife) is the way to go for me.

Help a budding diyer anyone? Sorry for the long post.

Do you also need BSC in a line array?
mickey

Re: quasi mini array [message #23325 is a reply to message #23324] Fri, 24 November 2006 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you considered an electronic crossover and bi amping? Passive crossovers for line arrays are generally not for beginners. I've crossed my 32/ch neo's at 2650 but i use a Rane 24db/octave electronic crossover.

Are you cutting the neo's flanges to the metal? You will need to do so or comb filtering will start at about 9000hz, and will give you a noticeably flat treble with a distinct loss of "air". Cutting them will give you a line of about 13 or 14 inches, which is going to require the nearfield to be much closer than you might think. You don't want one line in the nearfield and one in the farfield.

Have you read Dr. Jim Griffin's Line Array White Paper?

What are you using for a low end?

Marlboro

Re: quasi mini array [message #23326 is a reply to message #23325] Fri, 24 November 2006 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mickey is currently offline  mickey
Esquire
I have read the white paper. Understood some of it. And yes I will be cutting the neo flanges.

Questions:

At what frequencies is it going to start comb filtering when the neos are cut to the metal?

About the array, do they need BSC?

I am thinking of electronic crossovers but I have to save for that and I will do that when I have enough neos and little woofers to rebuild it. I was thinking passive for the moment but you are right it is not for begginers hence the ask for help from experts if any are so inclined(It would be christmas in my newbie ears). For the low end? A pair of stereo subs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mickey.

Re: quasi mini array [message #23327 is a reply to message #23326] Fri, 24 November 2006 23:10 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Comb filtering if you cut is up above 14-15Khz, which gets into the inaudible range for most of us, or at least hard to tell.

As to BSC: read below: http://www.audioroundtable.com/ArraySpeakers/messages/1235.html

Perhaps someone else can help with passive crossovers.

Marlboro

Previous Topic: Piezo Horn drivers
Next Topic: Jensen Imperial find
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 05 10:11:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers