Home » Audio » Speaker » Bose LA
Bose LA [message #22867] Fri, 02 December 2005 08:41 Go to next message
taylor is currently offline  taylor
Chancellor
Just thought this might be of interest. I guess Bose is marketing a PA LA, claiming that its radiation pattern is superior to conventional PA/Pro speakers. Heres a link to their white paper. Havent read it yet since this is really geared for pro sound.

taylor

Re: Bose LA [message #22870 is a reply to message #22867] Fri, 02 December 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Don't bother with with them, there a P.O.S. from reports in the field, yea they say there geared for Pro Sound which is B.S., that is if you're doing shows no bigger than a coffee house. And at $4,000 a piece there not worth it, Don't fall into the Bose Marketing B.S. trap. Remember this line:

Friends don't let Friends buy Bose!!!

That is if they know anything about audio.

Bill W.

Re: Bose LA [message #65461 is a reply to message #22867] Thu, 30 December 2010 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woodfree is currently offline  woodfree
Baron
Is BOSE just full of marketing hype or are they the real thing? From most of the posts I've read here, there seems to be better choices to choose from than the ones that are made by BOSE. I thought they were the industry standard. Or was I wrong?
Re: Bose LA [message #65468 is a reply to message #65461] Thu, 30 December 2010 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
woodfree wrote on Thu, 30 December 2010 05:08
Is BOSE just full of marketing hype or are they the real thing? From most of the posts I've read here, there seems to be better choices to choose from than the ones that are made by BOSE. I thought they were the industry standard. Or was I wrong?

No. Bose makes junk. My mom used to work work DMX/JBL/Bose and the bose stuff was always hilariously awful.

Bose's wave radio thinks adding low-order harmonic distortion and pushing the circuits hard near it's wattage limitation sounds great. In reality is sounds muddy and sounds like it struggles. It attenuates the high end too. I think they are trying to emulate the way an old tube radio would work and just don't have the know how to do so.

"no highs, no lows, gotta be a Bose"

Re: Bose LA [message #65477 is a reply to message #65468] Fri, 31 December 2010 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bose uses psychoacoustical principles to trick your brain into hearing low frequencies that aren't actually there. Even if you actually like the sound, you can't feel the bass since the pressure waves are lacking.
Re: Bose LA [message #65478 is a reply to message #65477] Fri, 31 December 2010 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
audioaudio90 wrote on Fri, 31 December 2010 10:46
Bose uses psychoacoustical principles to trick your brain into hearing low frequencies that aren't actually there. Even if you actually like the sound, you can't feel the bass since the pressure waves are lacking.

In my experience, High end audio is synonymous with bright, detailed and lean sonic character in the realm of solid state. Tubes get you the classic warm sound. Bose really fails to understand the concepts of sound reproduction by doing what they do. They add Bass with no concern for the pacing issues it would create, a rookie mistake I've made before, but they should know better. Taming down the highs usually means an unrealistic sounding reproduction with zero accuracy in the timbre of the instruments. Why they went in both directions is really hard to understand.

Re: Bose LA [message #66065 is a reply to message #22867] Wed, 09 February 2011 08:42 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bose bashing is always safe on audio forums because you know everybody will agree with you, but I recommend Bose products for some of the people who hear my system and ask for advice about building their own system. Here's my advice:

If you're an active listener, which means you plan to sit in the sweet spot and listen to the music at realistic levels, and you are willing to position the speakers correctly, and you want the best possible sound for the money you are spending on your system, you should look into getting a component-type system.

If you're a passive listener, which means you'll have music playing quietly in the background while you multitask, and it's important to you that the equipment be out of sight, and you have so much money that paying too much isn't an issue, you'll be happier with a Bose wave radio or a Bose acoustimass system. For most women the invisibility issue trumps sound quality any day of the week, because every woman knows a speaker is a thing of unspeakable ugliness that should be placed on a high shelf and hidden behind a large fern.

Regarding the Bose pro line arrays, several of my musician friends have them. They will not play as loud as a high sensitivity two-way with a 12" or 15" pro woofer and a horn tweeter, but they're more than adequate for the typical restaurant, coffee house or small bar gig. The midbass and midrange are cleaner than the typical pro woofer's, and they are small, light, and very portable. One speaker system replaces the typical setup of two pole speakers, two stage monitors, a powered mixer, and a jungle of cables. Any musician who's exhausted when midnight or one am rolls around, or who has a groupie waiting for him to get off will appreciate the portability.

Notice the Bose speaker, which is perfect for this Austin acoustic music venue, behind Bob Cheevers here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1HJSKiEguQ

Previous Topic: Multiple Speakers
Next Topic: Cheap, new speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:40:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout