Home » Audio » Speaker » Aa open baffle array question
Aa open baffle array question [message #22599] Wed, 27 April 2005 18:34
Madmike2 is currently offline  Madmike2
Esquire

HI all. Found you through another site and i like what i have been reading here as well. My question involes building an array with an uncoupled front baffle but after reading most of that white paper i might already have my answer. I am going to ask the question anyway though. This is my original post that got no response except to say that i should align the tweet-mid.

HI again. I just had another idea. Feel free to rip this apart. Keep in mind that i will have active EQ and 6 channels of amplification. Ok what i propose is and correct anything i say wrong i can go back and read all the data again till i understand it exquisitly. here is a cheesy picture to clarify my written description.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y1...mike2/Basic.jpg

I want to take Surgical packing foam, it comes in a grayish black colour and flat sheets of 5/8's thick and sandwich it. Front baffle will be 1/2 inch white pine and the rear support and baffle will be 1 inch mdf that i have. each panel will be 4 x 8 inch woofers wired series paralell to a single channel. In the middle of these sitting side by side will be a 4 inch mid and cd5 fountek ribbon tweeter either wired together to one channel with a simple 12 db crossover since there will be an active x-over removing 400 Hz and lower. Or i can run the tweet on a channel the mid on a channel and the 4 x 8 array on the 100 watt channel with the Dbx doing crossover duty. The front baffle will be in the range of 90 % decoupled from rear as i will use 2.5 inch black mushroom bolts and polyurethane donuts on the back side with wingnuts to cinch the speakers to the front baffle. Almost all the transmission of energy that does make it to the back will be through the poly as the medical foam is CDC certified for vibration absorbtion.

So from what i understood part of the problem with an open baffle IS the baffle. Will taking its effects out or shrinking its footprint in the reproduction picture help ?

Will this design affect or lesson the baffle effect in this design assuming that this array would be valid? Or will it just destroy the point of the open baffle.

I will be reading SL page while i wait for the flaming to begin

Michael

Previous Topic: Single driver speaker owners in Virginia....
Next Topic: I think my post vanished
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 09:35:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout