Home » Audio » Speaker » The Fredarrays are Up and Running
The Fredarrays are Up and Running [message #22419] Sun, 02 January 2005 11:43 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After a long period of neglect I again got interested in completing these arrays, and at last they are up and running. I decided to complete them because Rick Craig is sending me an XT8 array kit, and building the enclosures will occupy my full time for the next month or two. My initial reaction to the Fredarray is very positive (just as any new mom believes her baby is the prettiest ever). The Silver Flute woofers sound very good, but can't say the same for the $20 Peerless horn loaded dome tweeter. It begins to fall off not too much above 10khz. I have a pair of Fountek JP3 ribbons which I plan to try in place of the Peerless domes.

Stereophile would describe these speakers as "possibly the best speaker in the world", but only if I were in the speaker business and committed to a quarter million dollar ad campaign. Clearly they are not, but they do offer a lot of bang for the $400 I have invested in them. This would be a very worthwhile project for someone with a limited budget and the desire for a line array. If anyone in the Houston area would like to hear them just send me and email.

Re: The Fredarrays are Up and Running [message #22420 is a reply to message #22419] Sun, 02 January 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are great looking speakers Fred, just awesome! It looks like you have a nice sheen on their finish coat. I really like 'em!

I'll bet it's tough finding a tweeter that will both cross low enough and have the sensitivity required. Hopefully the ribbon will work better for you.

Your speakers look excellent! Keep us posted on the upgrades.

Right About the Tweeters [message #22421 is a reply to message #22420] Sun, 02 January 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You are so right about finding the right tweeter. There are few tweeters that combine a reasonable price, good sound, 95dB or better sensitivity and the ability to cross over at about 2.5khz. The $22 Peerless tweeter is one of the cheapest but it sounds like most $20 tweeters, it's fairly directional, and it gives up at about 16khz. I also have a couple of the $14, 96dB MCM tweeters used in the Bottlehead Straight 8, but I didn't care for them too much in that speaker so I doubt I'll like them more in this one. Also, I suspect their resonant frequency is too high to cross over at 2.5khz. In the Straight 8 they are crossed over at about twice that frequency. The $50 Morel MDT-37 comes close with 93dB sensitivity, but a ten driver woofer array is a bit too sensitive for that. GR Researcg offers a $30 96dB dome that looks good on paper, but I haven't heard it. That's about the most I wanted to spend on tweeters for an economy array whose total cost is less than $400, but when Madisound offered a $60 closeout price on the Fountek ribbon I decided to break the piggy bank and go for it. I'll post some comments when I get around to building an appropriate crossover and try it in place of the Peerless tweeters.

Fountek Tweeters [message #22425 is a reply to message #22420] Tue, 04 January 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Take another look at my link to the Fredarrays and you'll see that I have tested the Fountek ribbons in place of the Peerless domes. The difference is not subtle. The Founteks take these speakers from a nice mid-fi sound, but one that causes listener fatigue, to a really good pair of speakers. When I heard them with the Founteks I breathed a big sigh of relief, because that's what Rick Craig is including in the XTeneded8 array kit he's sending me, only eight JP2's instead of one JP3 per side. And the 7" Vifa XT woofs might sound even better than the 5.25" Silver Flutes, thought the SF's sound amazingly good for the price, better to my ears than the Vifa TC series woofers.

Re: Fountek Tweeters [message #22426 is a reply to message #22425] Tue, 04 January 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Nice looking little ribbon tweeter; I'll bet the difference is night and day. It's cool that it will bolt right in too.

More on the Tweeter [message #22452 is a reply to message #22421] Wed, 26 January 2005 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just for fun I substituted the MCM 53-480 shielded titanium dome for the Fountek ribbon (a $14 metal dome tweeter versus an $88 ribbon). The 53-480 appears to be the shielded version of the tweeter used in the Bottlehead Straight 8. The Fountek offers considerably more detail combined with a more relaxed sound. The MCM sounds more forward, which would appeal to many who listen to popular music. It's not my cup of tea, but overall I'm surprised how much better it sounds than I had expected. This would be a reasonable "starter" tweeter for someone building the FredArrays on a tight budget, and they could upgrade to the Fountek later. However, the Fountek would require a different crossover and some baffle surgery; it isn't a drop in replacement. Now, I wonder how that Vifa DX-25 would sound?

Re: More on the Tweeter [message #22581 is a reply to message #22452] Mon, 11 April 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
fred do you notice much of a difference between your seated position and when you are standing much closer to the array. Im getting ready to start on mine and figured I would optimize the single tweeter to the same spl at the listening position. However for parties when people are standing around im wondering if the tweeter will be extremely bright when too close since it would end up needing to be 3-6db higher to sound right with the array of woofers at the listening position. Listening position will be about 10 feet. thanks

justin

Re: More on the Tweeter [message #22582 is a reply to message #22581] Mon, 11 April 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The tweeter is somewhat directional, so as you walk closer to the speaker the relative level decreases by a greater amount than it would if your ear remained at the tweeter level. So for party listening the point source tweeter will remain in reasonably good balance and shouldn't be a problem.

For serious listening from ten feet you will want to be sitting - the sound blance changes as you stand, probably because of the power tapering toward the ends of the array, and the overall effect is a slight loss of soundstage focus. It doesn't sound bad when you are standing ten feet away; it just doesn't sound as good as when you're sitting.

Re: The Fredarrays are Up and Running [message #66971 is a reply to message #22419] Sun, 10 April 2011 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fredasiong is currently offline  Fredasiong
Esquire
Fred,

What is the possibility of listening to your line array? I lived in kingwood 59 north of bw 8.

Ty
Re: The Fredarrays are Up and Running [message #67005 is a reply to message #66971] Mon, 11 April 2011 21:33 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Fredasiong wrote on Sun, 10 April 2011 09:32
Fred,
What is the possibility of listening to your line array? I lived in kingwood 59 north of bw 8.
Ty

The possibility is very good if you're willing to drive to my house, which is off Eldridge Parkway, halfway between I-10 and 290. I still have the Selah Audio XT-8 arrays and the Art Arrays.
Previous Topic: Neodymium speaker price sticker shock.
Next Topic: speaker for gamer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:21:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout