Home » Audio » Speaker » Open Baffle or none at all?
Open Baffle or none at all? [message #22062] Tue, 17 March 2009 17:57 Go to next message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
I have been wanting to do something for years and have decided to give it a go. I have a pair of new looking Stromberg Carlson 15" coax. I want to hook them up to the 300B and am not really up on the open baffle and if I really need any baffle at all is really needed.
Getting the drivers suspended in a stable manner might be harder than I think but this is going to be essentially a 15" dipole with a tweeter in the center, so would having a baffle enhance it, detract, be neautral or any other ideas?

Hey Wayne and anybody else who knows me. I have a computer again and being online in the budget again, so here I am. I have been sculpting a lot but am getting the audio bug back in my blood and am ready to play.

Thatch

Re: Open Baffle or none at all? [message #22063 is a reply to message #22062] Wed, 18 March 2009 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good to see you around again!

We're having another get-together in Dallas this year - the Lone Star Audiofest is the weekend of June 19th at the Embassy Suites near 75 and 635.

John Busch is registered and the last couple of years he brought open baffle speakers, so I'll bet he'll have some ideas for you. I think you know him already but if you don't, he's very approachable, a real cool guy to hang out with.

I think Brad Baker is also coming this year. He also brings open baffle speakers as I recall. I haven't had the chance to visit with him very much, but he seems like a great guy too.

Hope to see you there!

Re: Open Baffle or none at all? [message #22064 is a reply to message #22063] Wed, 18 March 2009 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
I will see you there Wayne. Sorry I couldn't make it last year.

David

Re: Open Baffle or none at all? [message #22071 is a reply to message #22062] Tue, 07 April 2009 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'd do a "standard" open baffle on it.
PLus use a sub.
and an active crossover.
and a tweeter over about 6 khz.
-akhilesh

Re: Open Baffle or none at all? [message #63085 is a reply to message #22062] Mon, 07 June 2010 12:58 Go to previous message
badman is currently offline  badman
Chancellor
None at all gets you about the best constant directivity performance, but you wind up with a bare minimum of bottom end. You'd need a good highpass filter for the 15" coax midtweet, something like 200Hz.

Bass is meant to be big. A 6.5" is not a woofer.
Previous Topic: First speakers - a little ambitious - curved array
Next Topic: 2.5 way using two JBL 2226J with B&C DE 250 & H290 horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:01:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout