Home » Audio » Speaker » the Hartley 10" full range driver
the Hartley 10" full range driver [message #22057] Wed, 04 February 2009 20:00 Go to next message
drumdrum is currently offline  drumdrum
Esquire
hey folks - first time here ! My search here for Hartley 10" came back empty, so I feel I should at least mention this unique driver.

I received half a dozen jpeg attachments today, from an individual who has worked for Hartley for 40+ years.."hands on" involved with the construction of these marvelous hand-built loudspeakers.

Here is an excerpt from one:

"The Voice Coil ...In our mid and full range speakers, our voice coil is actually two voice coils. They are physically isolated by a specially prepared compliance only 4 mils thick. The outer coil is made of copper and the inner of aluminum and the physical separation allows the inner aluminum coil to move independently at higher frequencies. Because the total coil is only one inch in diameter, our cones can be of maximum mass. The HARTLEY voice coil was patented in 1964 by Harold Luth, and because of its unique design, ITS THE ONLY VOICE COIL THAT DIRECTS HIGH AND LOW FREQUENCY SOUNDS TO SEPARATE CONE SECTIONS OF THE SPEAKER. "

I don't own this driver, but I do own one of their 18" subs.
This 10" full range ( 9" effective piston diameter )
is rated 20hz to 20 khz !!!
~ max peak to peak excursion - .375"
~ 25 W min, 75 W max, 150 W max peak
~ effective mass ( coil + cone ) 38 grams
~ 6 ohm
~ 6 lb (special) magnet

The Hartley drivers are also unique in that they are " magnetically suspended " ( also patented by Harold Luth ) and exhibit TRANSIENT RESPONSE times unmatched by any other loudspeaker !!!

SEEMS TO ME TO BE THE IDEAL FULL RANGE DRIVER !!!

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ?

Re: the Hartley 10" full range driver [message #22058 is a reply to message #22057] Thu, 05 February 2009 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You wouldn't have any acoustic measurements, by chance, would you?

Re: the Hartley 10" full range driver [message #22059 is a reply to message #22058] Fri, 06 March 2009 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skite30 is currently offline  skite30
Chancellor
I believe these speakers are still being made. A friend of mine spoke with a man who made these for hartley and now owns the rights to produce them. Can't remember the details but they retail for about 1000 per pair. Lives up in NC> I have another friend who has a pair of original Hartley's in cabinets that look like an old tv set with real small legs. Phenomenal sounding speakers I hope he will leave them to me someday. I am not sure if they have the 10msg's in them or not but they are probably the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. If you are interested I will try to find out if he has contact information.

Re: the Hartley 10" full range driver [message #22060 is a reply to message #22057] Mon, 09 March 2009 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RC Daniel is currently offline  RC Daniel
Chancellor
The model name is 220ms (IIRC) and you should be able to Google a fair bit of info about it. The dirver had been used in a few commercial products, most famously the Hotei (sp?) in recent times.

I once very serously considered purchasing a pair of these, but something put me off. A recessed upper bass/lower midrange maybe or required more drive than I had on offer?.. I can't remember, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Great to hear they are still being produced. I may have to look into them again.

Cheers

Re: the Hartley 10" full range driver [message #22061 is a reply to message #22059] Mon, 09 March 2009 09:06 Go to previous message
drumdrum is currently offline  drumdrum
Esquire
Hartley Product Corp
5732 Oleander Dr.
Wilmington, NC

910 392-0500

Previous Topic: Santana II
Next Topic: hi-fi speakers connecting to a mini amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:19:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects