Home » Audio » Speaker » DCA 4 Zigmahornets
DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #21986] Tue, 16 September 2008 02:29 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
For those of you that have played with the DCA4's, have you heard them in the zigmahornet cabinets? I've heard the ones that Akhilesh had in PAWO cabs and liked them a lot, but unfortunately didn't buy any at the time due to fundage problems. I've found the new supplier and can get them there, but am still hoping to find some that no-one used or lightly used, although the new supplier's prices are not bad at all ($65 inclusive of Paypal fees and shipping --includes Ziggie plans and felt to line the back of the cabinet). I'm looking at the Ziggies because of WAF and basic floorspace issues. I would like to use these exclusively for acoustic guitar (eg. Govi) and jazz-lite (Diana Krall, etc...). with my almost completed Darling Amp.

Re: DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #21987 is a reply to message #21986] Wed, 17 September 2008 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you heard from Akhilesh lately? I should give him a call. he was always working on single driver speakers, had done a bunch of 'em. I wonder what he is up to these days and if he's still writing for Positive Feedback or if he's taking a break.

Akhilesh [message #21989 is a reply to message #21987] Wed, 17 September 2008 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I was hoping he would chime in, but it seems he hasn't posted on the forum for nearly 6 months. Maybe he's got a pair of the DCA4's he'd want to part with?

Re: Akhilesh [message #21990 is a reply to message #21989] Fri, 19 September 2008 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I guess he needed a break from DIY audio stuff for a while.

Re: DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #21993 is a reply to message #21986] Sat, 27 September 2008 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabbe is currently offline  gabbe
Chancellor
hi shane,

i am one of those who owned the dca 4", for the music u intend to play don't wait any longer, the dca 4" sound wonderful with the daring amps , i been playing with them for years now in a non folded horn i designed myself and i never use a sub , and they are my reference speaker

i still have coral flat 6, beta 6 , 8a 40 and some other coral, dca 5.5 , tangbang bamboo 4" and some other Japanese 4" to 5" driver but i choose dca 4" so why wait ????

Re: DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #22003 is a reply to message #21993] Mon, 29 September 2008 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks! I think I'm going to have to try and get a pair.

Re: DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #22004 is a reply to message #21987] Thu, 02 October 2008 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Guys!
Sorry for the tardiness in replying. Yes, after my back injury last year I took a break from DIY speaker stuff (though I still have lots of drivers to try out). Also, work has gotten me busy at least till december.

My next project, should it ever materialize will be the dca 5.5's in a BIB enclosure!
Otherwise just enjoying hte music every chance I get, which is really rare these days.

I would recommend the dca 5.5 over the 4's, but both are good drivers. The 5.5 have good enough highs and also good enough lows.
THe 4 have slightly better highs, but IMHO need a sub, actively crossed at about 80 hz. The 5.5's go down to about 60 but seem to go down lower (don't ask me how) in the PAWO enclosure.
According to other posts here, they go down to 30 hz in a BIB enclosure (well the enclosure goes down to 30 hz!). Imagine that in a 5.5 " driver. Pretty close to the holy grail eh?

I have some pairs of both, but I am certainly not willing to part with them.
Wayne, we need to have another audio meet soon...maybe listen to Mark's honky tonk badagonk system?
-akhilesh

Re: DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #22005 is a reply to message #22004] Thu, 02 October 2008 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for replying Akhilesh.

I remember hearing your 4's in the PAWO enclosure at Tulsa and remembered you commenting on using a sub with them.

I think I'm still going to go for the 4's in a Ziggie not only because of floor space issues and WAF, but for the cheap cost as well . I will run them on their own for a bit, but probably end up adding a sub with an active x-over.

I see pairs of the 4's come up for sale once in a while.

Re: DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #22006 is a reply to message #22004] Thu, 02 October 2008 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! What happened to your back? I don't remember hearing about it.

I would love to get together at Mark's place to hear his Audio Note system. He invited us all over to his place last weekend, but there was no way I could go. I probably can't make time for a get together for another month at least.

I finally decided to move from my starter home, one I had lived in since I was 29. Thought I'd get it while the interest rates were still good, but found myself right in the middle of all that sky is falling stuff. These days, they go over you with a fine tooth comb, but in the end I think they're still able to finance homes as long as you can demonstrate an ability to pay for them. So I closed in August and have been in the process of packing, moving, unpacking and organizing ever since then. At the same time, I'm getting the old place ready to sell. So with all this going on, my hands are full.

Re: DCA 4 Zigmahornets [message #22007 is a reply to message #21993] Mon, 06 October 2008 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Erik is currently offline  Erik
Esquire
picked up my dca 4 drivers today. will build the zigma hornet cabinet in a few weeks. can you tell me more about these drivers or how they compare to other single driver models, ed's horn etc?

Previous Topic: Surround speakers for vintage Advents
Next Topic: ex2- to dx2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:58:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout