Home » Audio » Speaker » DCA 5.5 T/S Specifications
DCA 5.5 T/S Specifications [message #21863] Tue, 09 October 2007 15:17 Go to next message
DrD is currently offline  DrD
Chancellor
I have a pair of the 5.5's on the way. I am hoping someone could provide me with some manufacturer's spex, so I can attempt to calc an optimal alignment for them. Nothing against the PAWO, I would like to start with a BIB for > line gain, > bass resp.

Fs/Qts/Vas/Qms would be great. Stated SPL I would be curious to know about. Ikhalesh mentions using a 2A3, others, PPEL84, sounds fairly easy to drive at low levels, but likes some power. Thanks in advance.

Re: DCA 5.5 T/S Specifications [message #21867 is a reply to message #21863] Sun, 14 October 2007 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sorry about the delay. I'll search and get back to you..i know I have them somewhere.
-ahkhilesh

DCA 5.5 Just Arrived!!! [message #21869 is a reply to message #21867] Mon, 15 October 2007 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The new drivers arrived awhile ago; I can report that the 5.5 are VERY well constructed, well beyond my expectations, frankly. Nice phat magnet [endomagnetosis] is always a good thing, tough butyl rubber surround, there appears to be BUCKETS of Xmax [!!] which bring dynamics to a backloaded aligment, nice solid milled steel, or aluminum phase plug, cone appears to be coated with some ceramic, perhaps ALuminum oxide to reduce ringing, and oxidation of Al cone material.

Although the PAWO and Mini Onken have proven themselves with this driver, they are non-optimal alignments for this driver. to this end, I have calc'd a BIB folded pipe/horn for them which is a WAF size with ~65in^2 CSA, ~70in height, and sports a line gain of ~10db in the lower register, [horn gain] and F7=30Hz Resp. Not too shabby. With the 5.5 in a BIB, at lower listening levels, [nearfield, night time, etc] flea power should be okay. Although I will also use a PP triode or T amp. Color me impressed. www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

Re: DCA 5.5 Just Arrived!!! [message #21870 is a reply to message #21869] Mon, 15 October 2007 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool! Glad you liked them. PLease tell us your experiences once you have built the enclosure.
Sometimes, an optimal enclosure may lead to a lower bass response, but at the expense of more IM distortion, in which case a sub optimal box may become optimal
I have only heard these in the PAWO horns, and in those they are good enough for pop music, in the right room and right placement of course.
I also think these work a lot better with PP amps, for some reason! like a simple el84 pp, driven by the 12a*7.
Do tell us once you build!
-akhilesh

Re: DCA 5.5 Just Arrived!!! [message #21871 is a reply to message #21870] Mon, 15 October 2007 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I agree with the assessment, but in the smaller BIBs, ripple is not really too much of a concern, these loads are surprisingly accomodating, and their history of near universal success stories bears this out. I would HP the driver @50Hz, and go from there. The important part with these alignments seems to exist in a driver with a suitably low Fs, and especially mid Q, which the 5.5 satisfies brilliantly. Its mid size DIA is great for midrange quality, and several people have reported preferring it to the Jordan JX92S. I cannot help but think the 5.5 will make for a stunning BIB, particularly in use with more powerful amplifiers like PP, and nice T amps.

Re: DCA 5.5 Just Arrived!!! [message #21872 is a reply to message #21871] Mon, 15 October 2007 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
SOunds good! Now you've got us all excited, and have to share with us how it sounds/measures, and if it works well, do post the dimensions for others to build!

These are nice drivers. What I like about them is the 100 hz to 5 khz flat curve, and the decent freq extension.
They are sensitive to placement, though.
-akhilesh

BIB Dimensions for DCA 5.5 [message #21873 is a reply to message #21870] Tue, 16 October 2007 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Minimum CSA 65in^2, but more is good, anywhere to 140in^2. Bigger is better.

Length, 130 inches, or 65 inches as folded pipe. Internal DIM's ex: 6.5 X 10 X 65 = High WAF BIB. Line gain @ Fs =10db (!!!) this is before room loading, which generally adds ~2-3db. (no kidding)

Zo Driver 27.75 inches from sealed end.

FR ~Flat to 34Hz, F5=30Hz. *this is a very full range horn alignment. This calc is VERY similar to the Jordan model on www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

I will attempt to learn how to post the FRP to this forum. (techno-peasant)

Re: DCA 5.5 Just Arrived!!! [message #21874 is a reply to message #21869] Tue, 16 October 2007 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Gonzales is currently offline  Eric Gonzales
Baron
i'm excited too. build the box. i plan on having an el84 wired in triode paralleld in triode to power it. 2 tubes per channel would net 2.6 watts or maybe even go 4 tubes to net 5.2 watts.

Guys, post your dca5.5 cabs in this thread. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it. I think the only way to add a picture is :

-upload to your website
-when posting a reply, look for Optional Image URL at the bottom and enter the website address. Don't forget to preview.

Post your DCA5.5M cabs [message #21875 is a reply to message #21872] Tue, 16 October 2007 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
i'm excited too. build the BIB box. i plan on having an el84 wired in triode paralleld in triode to power it. 2 tubes per channel would net 2.6 watts or maybe even go 4 tubes to net 5.2 watts.

Guys, post your dca5.5 cabs in this thread. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it. I think the only way to add a picture is :

-upload to your website
-when posting a reply, look for Optional Image URL at the bottom and enter the website address. Don't forget to preview.

DCA5.5M cab picture [message #21876 is a reply to message #21875] Wed, 17 October 2007 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron

here's a picture of the minionken on a stand

Previous Topic: Best value for tweeters for La apps? Maybe... horn loading?
Next Topic: end correction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 18:47:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout