Home » Audio » Speaker » Garage Sales Find
Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21525 is a reply to message #21524] Mon, 29 May 2006 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I really would like a set of the Heresy's some day when I have the extra cash. I chose some Polk Audio 5B's over them back in the early 80's. I still use those Polks all the time in our living room. Still sound quite nice for a little 2 way.

I need to quit lookin' and just build me a set of big Pi's, some of Akhilesh's PAWO horns, and one of Jim's dipole speakers that FredT just finished. Then I'd have a little of everything except a line array which is just off in dreamleand anyway.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21526 is a reply to message #21525] Tue, 30 May 2006 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think you should elaborate a little here. Can you name a few more speakers?
The Heresy's are alright but any of the Pi models will slaughter them sound-wise. So what is the long term plan?

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21527 is a reply to message #21526] Tue, 30 May 2006 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sure, I could name a a couple dozen more speakers, no problem :).

I don't know about my 2 Towers slaughtering the Heresy's. They don't slaughter my Polks except in the bass department and how loud they will go, which is to be expected.

All those speakers I listed all sound quite different to me. I like the way each one sounds in it's own right. I think I like the line arrays the best at this point, but they are so cost prohibitive as to never be a realization in this lifetime.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21528 is a reply to message #21527] Tue, 30 May 2006 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a pair of Polk r25's and I agree; they sound really good for the price. You have me on the Pi 2's I haven't heard them but I lived with Heresy's for some time. I liked them. Can I say one thing here; the Klipsch K2g's; have you ever heard them? I sold my pair and now I wish I hadn't; I think they are better than the Heresy's. They are as efficient and usually sell for about 200$ on the 'bay. They have that little D-Horn and a passive radiator.

On the Polks; there is a Polk forum; I have searched for anyone who might have tried mods on the crossover on those. Ever see anything along those lines? That is one nice little speaker. Huge bass output for a tiny woof.
Lot of speakers out there.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21529 is a reply to message #21509] Tue, 30 May 2006 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Wow GarMan,
Sometimes things happen like they were meant to be.
You must have been doing something right to deserve such a fantastic gift.
Enjoy!
Norris Wilson

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21530 is a reply to message #21512] Tue, 30 May 2006 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Akhilesh,

Can't tell you how they compare to other vintages as these are the only ones I've come across. In the cabinets that they came in, they sound very good. Overall tone is bright with emphasis on the upper midrange. Bass is muddy and starts to roll-off early, I think due to the poor quality of the cabinet. There seems to be more bass radiating out from the cabinet than the driver and ports. Vocals are excellent, smooth, sweet and dynamic. I like speakers that make vocals pop and this driver does it very well. On sensitivity, I would peg it at around 93 to 95 dB/w/m.

Despite its tonal unbalance, there something special about it that draws you into the music. No flash, flares or sizzle, just a very intimate presentation.

I haven't decided on what to do with these drivers. Build a cabinet for a stand-alone, or to integrate with a sub and UHF. Either way, I'm definiately keeping these for myself.

Gar.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21531 is a reply to message #21528] Tue, 30 May 2006 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't remember the Klipsch KG2's being available when I bought my Polk's. My Polks are the original Monitor series 5's with a passive radiator. They were just coming out with the SDA series that year.

I have looked on the Polk forum several times, but have not seen any real "upgrades" for my speaker's crossover, mainly just tweeter references. I did have Polk send me a schematic of the crossover with the values on it. Handy for when I need to replace something. I'm sure it could use a recapping at least, but I hate to mess with them since they work fine as they are.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21533 is a reply to message #21527] Tue, 30 May 2006 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Shane, speakers are like women aren't they. All different in their personality and so hard to chose just one. If only we can all be like FredT, who seems to be able to rotate speakers every other week. But I'm going stop that analogy right there.

As for the 2-Towers, they were my first exposure to large cabinet, high efficency speakers. Not a perfect speaker, but very inexpensive and simple to build, and delivered great bass and dynamics. Music jumps out from these speakers. By comparison, conventional monitors seem lifeless.

Don't forget that the Towers are only entry-level and as you move up the line, the speakers become more refine. Disconnecting the tweeter and integrating a 1" compression with horn will be a hugh improvement.

Gar.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21536 is a reply to message #21527] Tue, 30 May 2006 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
The sound coming out of my 2 Pis is amazing... incredibly smooth and relaxed. Midrange and treble is perfectly clear and refined. I can listen to the 2 Pis all day long and I can truely claim there is no listening fatigue whatsoever.

Re: Garage Sales Find [message #21537 is a reply to message #21536] Tue, 30 May 2006 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My two's sound good, don't get me wrong. But I still find the highs somewhat grating after a while. I find I'm rolling the treble down just a smidge almost all the time. It could just be the NAD Bee amp and CDP, though. When I get my 12B4 amp we'll see if that makes a difference with mine. I know that I wasn't noticing this with Wayne's Two Towers and this particular amp at GPAF. One of the reasons I decided to buy it. That and it's incredible midrange.

Previous Topic: Throat size for woofer
Next Topic: XXLS subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 13:04:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout