Home » Audio » Speaker » folded voight pipes???
Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21385 is a reply to message #21383] Fri, 16 December 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Straight ML-TLs are two summed resonant structures of which one is a 1/4 WL and the other a 1/2 WL resonator, so there's an unbalanced number of both even and odd order harmonics, ergo the system is non-harmonic in its passband, comb filtering with the driver's harmonics, screwing up its response until the vent's output has decayed to ~ -25 dB.

GM

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21386 is a reply to message #21384] Fri, 16 December 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
GM,

As an example of what I am trying to say, please refer to Appendix C of my TL alignment tables article. I have displayed the results for three TL's (tapered, straight, expanding) all tuned to 30 Hz. The fundamental 1/4 wavelength resonance is at 30 Hz for each geometry but the 3/4 wavelength resonance is at 120 Hz only for the straight TL. I won't go into the mode numbering schemes because I use a different method of labeling. Maybe we are talking about different things or I have misunderstood the thread discussion.

Martin

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21387 is a reply to message #21385] Fri, 16 December 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master

?

The only way that a 1/2 wave mode can be supported is to have a node at the top and closed bottom of the pipe, and this fundamental would be twice that of the 1/4 wave mode. In this case, that would be 80 Hz. Since the 1/2 wave mode is trapped between the ends, it would produce no output but would modulate the driver. I don't see it in the model above, nor do I remember you mentioning 1/2 wave modes in stopped pipes.

See Modeled/actual comparisons.

Bob

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21389 is a reply to message #21383] Fri, 16 December 2005 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Bob,

What is the pipe diameter and length?

Martin

I mean port. (NT) [message #21390 is a reply to message #21389] Fri, 16 December 2005 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
NT

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21391 is a reply to message #21389] Fri, 16 December 2005 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
The port is 3" dia x 4" long.

Would you like to see the plans, just for grins?

Bob

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21392 is a reply to message #21391] Sat, 17 December 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I think I can explain why the frequencies shift, it is something I have been studying recently. If you could send me the worksheet file that you used to make the pictures, that should be good enough to test my theory and hopefully explain what is going on. I will keep the details of your design private but would make and post some plots with my results.

Martin

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21397 is a reply to message #21387] Mon, 19 December 2005 15:31 Go to previous message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

The vent is a 1/2 WL resonator with its own harmonic structure activated by the 1/4 WL pipe's pulses, creating a very non-harmonic summed system as clearly shown in the 'woofer and Terminus Far Field Sound Pressure Level Responses' plot. Driver and/or vent locations away from the ends just screw it up more.

GM

Previous Topic: best driver for voigt pipes
Next Topic: revisiting the Delta 12LF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:07:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers