Home » Audio » Speaker » folded voight pipes???
Re: Good Information [message #21367 is a reply to message #21364] Tue, 13 December 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I actually measured these roughly at Jim's house once. They are pretty smooth over 100HZ, but below that are all over the map.
I like their sound, though the bass could use a lot of help.
-akhilesh

Re: Clarifying questions [message #21368 is a reply to message #21365] Tue, 13 December 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks. So when do we see you next? GPAF? We need to hear your stuff again!
-akhilesh

How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21369 is a reply to message #21366] Tue, 13 December 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nah. As long as we back it up with some data or an argument that makes sense, and NOt run someone else down, it's totally kosher to proselytize.
At least that's the way I see it.

I think we are all learning a lot from this discussion. Esp. since TQWT seems to be so favored by DIYers.

BTW, my impression is that these harmonics may not matter, except in the raw Voigt pipe, where the dip is pretty bad. The frequency curves in the fostex & Lowther drivers (the F200A I suppose being an exception, and the FE166/Fe167 also I suppose) is so raggedy that a few db here and there are not that big a deal. THe raw voigt pipe does look pretty bad though.

Let me clarfiy what you are saying for my own benefit.
I guess you are saying, if a Voigt pipe is tuned to, say, 40 HZ, then the F0 = 40 Hz, and the F2, which is 160 Hz is not well suppressed.
What does that mean: not well suppressed? Does it mean that there is a tendency for there to be a peak there, becuase of the box, and this peak is not well suppressed? Whereas in a non tapered QWT, the 160 HZ is better suppressed?
I guess I am confused becuase the math cad model shows a dip for the Voigt pipe, whereas the argument is that it will have excessive peaks.
In general, are we saying that the TQWT (hat we are loosely calling a voigt pipe here) produces more of a comb effect than a Non Tapered qwt?
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: Clarifying questions [message #21376 is a reply to message #21368] Wed, 14 December 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
After the first of the year, I intend to do some of the club meets in Tulsa and some of the Texas Bottlehead meets.

Bob

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21377 is a reply to message #21369] Wed, 14 December 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
>>BTW, my impression is that these harmonics may not matter, except in the raw Voigt pipe, where the dip is pretty bad. The frequency curves in the fostex & Lowther drivers (the F200A I suppose being an exception, and the FE166/Fe167 also I suppose) is so raggedy that a few db here and there are not that big a deal. THe raw voigt pipe does look pretty bad though.
Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21379 is a reply to message #21377] Thu, 15 December 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Harmonics are multiples of the fundamental, so F3 (aka F2 in a stopped pipe) = 40*3 = 120 Hz........

GM

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21380 is a reply to message #21379] Thu, 15 December 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
YEah you are right. I don't know why I was thinkiong logarithmic. habit I guess.
-akhilesh

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21382 is a reply to message #21379] Fri, 16 December 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
"Harmonics are multiples of the fundamental, so F3 (aka F2 in a stopped pipe) = 40*3 = 120 Hz........ "

I think that this simple relationship is only true for straight constant area pipes. If the pipe is tapered or expanding, like a TQWT, the frequency of the harmonics will not be simple multiples of the fundamental frequency.

Martin

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21383 is a reply to message #21382] Fri, 16 December 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master

Perhaps this will make things more obvious. This is a plot of driver and port response on a linear X-axis. This is a straight MLTL.

The system is tuned to 40 Hz, which is the first spike. The next spike is the 3rd harmonic. Note that is is up at about 180 Hz, not the expected 120 Hz. The 5th harmonic is missing because the driver is placed at the first node of this harmonic.There is a minor spike in the port response, but it is 30dB down. The 7th and 9th harmonics are present, but the remainder of the series below 1000 Hz is suppressed by the port placement.

Now, why is the harmonic series shifted to the right? I suspect that there is interaction between the cavity resonance and the pipe resonance, but I have never been able to prove that. I would like to see some double humping at the tuning point, but I have never seen it. Someone with more mat/physics horsepower than I might discover something.

Bob

Re: How much do the harmonics matter? [message #21384 is a reply to message #21382] Fri, 16 December 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

?! Considering the ~accuracy of your horn math models, I'm flabbergasted that you could think this. If true, then a horn could only produce discordant sounds. What changes is the harmonic structure's fundamental (F0) and number of harmonics since horns are 1/2 WL resonators, ergo below this frequency their resonance structure is non-harmonic as a function of its flare rate ('M', aka 'T' factor) and frequency (Fc).

GM

Previous Topic: best driver for voigt pipes
Next Topic: revisiting the Delta 12LF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:08:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers