Home » Audio » Speaker » fullrange single driver help please!!
Re: fullrange single driver help please!! [message #21012 is a reply to message #21011] Mon, 13 June 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Pete,

Let us know how you make out and what adjustments you made to the basic circuit design.

Martin

Re: fullrange single driver help please!! [message #21013 is a reply to message #21001] Mon, 13 June 2005 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
The rising response in full-range (larger) drivers is a necessary evil. The cone needs a very powerfull motor system, meaning large magnet, very light cone and tight tolerances. A high power to weight ratio. That's the only way a driver can hope to deliver both bass and treble at the same time. The resulting very low Q value driver needs to be mated to an enclosure that will enhance the bass and mids to match the treble output. Welcome the back horn.

But all drivers are not that bad! First of all, allow for proper break-in. The use the right enclosure. And the right amplifier (such as a low damping factor tube amp).

If using a SS amp (as I do on my FE168EZ), try a (series) 4 to 10 ohms non-inductive resistor. In my case, I noticed what seemed like a 6dB boost in bass, and a "magic" drop in low treb output, while retaining vry HF sound.

Re: fullrange single driver help please!! [message #21014 is a reply to message #21013] Tue, 14 June 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
"If using a SS amp (as I do on my FE168EZ), try a (series) 4 to 10 ohms non-inductive resistor. In my case, I noticed what seemed like a 6dB boost in bass, and a "magic" drop in low treb output, while retaining vry HF sound."

At the very low frequencies where the electrical impedance at the driver terminals is high due to the system resonance(s) and at the high end where the electrical impedance is rising due to the voice coil inductance, the series resistor has almost no effect on SPL. In the middle frequencies, a voltage division occurs between the series resistor and the driver impedance to shelve down the SPL output. So at the top and bottom end the SPL is not really changed, only in the midrange is there a reduction in SPL. The speakers efficiency is changed different amounts at different frequencies depending on the electrical impedance of the speaker. There is never an increase in SPL output.

You are depending on the drivers impedance curve to rebalance the SPL output. If you use a Zobel across the terminals and a BSC circuit (with parallel cap) in series you have a bit more control over when the SPL is reduced and then allowed to rise. This is the next level of refinement to just adding a series resistor and you should be able to make another improvement in performance.

Martin

Re: fullrange single driver please help, saved!!!! [message #21028 is a reply to message #21014] Sat, 18 June 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
Dear Martin, I received my bafel setup correction components from parts-express yesterday and began to instahl them right away.
I was so pleased by the results. The overall balance was greatly improved with no noticable sacrifices. I would like to thank you soo much for your time, expertise and willingness to share your wisdom.
My Meridian 508 CD player through my reference line passive attenuator, to my 9 watt Consonance M500 mono block SET amps ( using MJ Mesh 300B's ) seem to be a good match now with the custom Fostex 206's cabinets mounted at the foot of my king size water bed. What a relaxing, enjoyable listening experience. I think that people would get a real kick out of my design of these cabinets. If you would recommend an appropriate place to post pictures of them. Thanks again, Peter

Re: fullrange single driver please help, saved!!!! [message #21029 is a reply to message #21028] Sat, 18 June 2005 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Peter,

Glad things worked out so well. The BSC circuit is such a simple method for adjusting the relative volume produce by the speaker at different frequencies. It rebalances the SPL curve. I agree with your comment that nothing is lost, nothing is added either, and as an additional benefit it helps smooth the slight phase shifts around the baffle step frequency. Unfortunately, the BSC circuit has a bad reputation and purists constantly criticize its use in full range speaker systems. They must like that very forward midrange sound.

Thanks for the feedback,

Martin

Re: fullrange single driver please help, saved!!!! [message #21030 is a reply to message #21029] Mon, 20 June 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Congrats, MArtin! ANother person saved!
I would like to take this opportunity to heartily recommned (once again) correction circuits like martin recommends. IMHO, they are a must for a single driver setup.
-akhilesh

Re: fullrange single driver please help, saved!!!! [message #21031 is a reply to message #21030] Mon, 20 June 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi akhilesh,

"ANother person saved!"

A new member of the super secret full range driver cult of the BSC filter. I hope the purists don't catch and subject him to a shouty piercing full range system running straight off the amp until he is reprogrammed.

Martin

Re: fullrange single driver please help, saved!!!! [message #21032 is a reply to message #21031] Mon, 20 June 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Martin,
Once you get used to that loud midrange, everything else sounds "lifeless", and you know it!
JK
-akhilesh

Re: fullrange single driver please help, saved!!!! [message #21033 is a reply to message #21032] Mon, 20 June 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
akhilesh,

There is some real truth in what you say, that loud midrange can really lure you into thinking the speaker is more revealing and dynamic. It can sound great, it sounds way different then anything else you have ever heard, unfortunately it is also not realistic.

Martin

Re: fullrange single driver please help, saved!!!! [message #21034 is a reply to message #21033] Mon, 20 June 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Martin,
I know. I was only half joking. I personally prefer an exaggerated midrange myself...the question is HOW exaggerated.
After listening to my home setup which is reasonably balanced with a RS analog meter, most FR jobs sound unbearably harsh to me, though their proud owners listen unconcernedly!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Axon 8-12 array
Next Topic: Tangband W3-871 fullrange
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:37:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers