Home » Audio » Speaker » Midrange smear in transmission lines
What is the effect of a standing wave? [message #20984 is a reply to message #20961] Mon, 06 June 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Martin,
Thanks for your post. Some basic questions that come up are:
1. What is the impact of a standing wave?
2. SHould one then use unequal dmensions for the bass relfex?
3. Does adding cross-braces in the middle of the cabinet help, vertically and depthwise?

thanks
-akhilesh

Re: What is the effect of a standing wave? [message #20987 is a reply to message #20984] Mon, 06 June 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
OK, after my post, I dd some reading, and it seems that standing waves can be eliminated or reduced significantly with non parallel alls. So isn't that an easy fix? Trapezoidal box?
-akhilesh

Re: What is the effect of a standing wave? [message #20988 is a reply to message #20987] Mon, 06 June 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I don't believe that non parallel walls eliminate standing waves. The shape of an enclosure will determine the natural frequencies and mode shapes of the standing waves but I do not know of any shape that is free of resonances.

I think that the position of the driver, the port, and fiber fill for damping can be used to minimize the impact of standing waves on the back surface of the driver. A standing wave with a pressure maximum on the back of the driver's cone will tend to reduce the cone motion and cause a null in the driver's SPL response. Again, look at Figure 6 in the ML TQWT article.

Martin

Re: What is the effect of a standing wave? [message #20991 is a reply to message #20988] Tue, 07 June 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Martin,
Thanks for your reply. Here are some websites that seem to indicate that non parallel walls do reduce standing waves:

http://www.trapagon.com/Audio/Products/body_products.html

http://www.crystalaudiovideo.com/cmptechnology.asp

http://www.gspr.com/canton/ref2.html

http://www.humanspeakers.com/diy/cabinets.htm

And many more. The conventional wisom seems to be that parallel walls encourage standing waves. I haven't tried to analyze if this should be true or not. The conventional wisdom is probably based on empirical experience of different builders.

What do you think? I am trempted to build my future BR cabinets with trapezoidal shapes.
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: What is the effect of a standing wave? [message #20997 is a reply to message #20991] Tue, 07 June 2005 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi akhilesh,

I looked at each of the websites you reference and they all say that non-parallel walls will not support standing waves. I think this is great marketing lingo, I don't believe that standing waves in an enclosure can be eliminated. There will always be resonances and mode shapes in any volume. Maybe the non-paralel walled enclosures will have "weaker" modes as seen from the back of the driver cone compared to the nice rectangular enclosures, I don't really know.

The location of the driver and port on the front baffle can also be used to mitigate the number of standing waves excited. Stuffing also does a great job of attenuation. Having built one tall thin trapazoidal enclosure, I am not looking to tring and odd shape again. Nice and square is much easier.

Martin

Re: What is the effect of a standing wave? [message #21000 is a reply to message #20997] Wed, 08 June 2005 11:00 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI MArtin,
I don't know. I have seen many speaker desgners who build world class speakers like John Otvos use a trapezoidal shape. I may try that in my next set of full range enclosures.
What the heck do i have to lose expcet $200 or so in extra carpentry costs.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Anyone have prices for the new Iconic coaxials?
Next Topic: thanks for the info and help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:30:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout