Home » Audio » Speaker » Audio Nirvana Speakers
Audio Nirvana Speakers [message #20752] Sat, 26 March 2005 15:40 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Has anyone heard these full range speakers? Looks too good to be true for building a budget hi efficiency single driver speaker. The 96dB 8" ($118/pr) is at the same price point as the 6" Fostex FE166E, and enclosure plans are included with the drivers.

Audion Nirvana / Fostex specs compared at http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/comparison.html

Re: TL Help!!!! [message #20753 is a reply to message #20752] Sat, 26 March 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronbrady is currently offline  ronbrady
Chancellor
Fred---Be the first one on your block to buy them, build a box, tweek the hell out of it write up what you think. At that price you should seriously consider a new home theater set up starting with the mains.
I've been thinking about it but I haven't the work space or time right now.
Best wishes
Ron Brady

Re: TL Help!!!! [message #20754 is a reply to message #20753] Sun, 27 March 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I sent David a note inviting him to exhibit at the GPAF. It's only a short hop down the Interstate from St Louis to Tulsa. I hope he'll show up with a pair - he would get lots of free publicity from participating in the event. Even if he doesn't, I'm intrigued and just may build a pair of his largest recommended enclosures (the 2.5 MKII Twin Port) with the 8" drivers. These probably would be a good match for my Paramours amps.

Nirvana drivers [message #20755 is a reply to message #20754] Sun, 27 March 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronbrady is currently offline  ronbrady
Chancellor
Hi Fred
That is probably a great idea to have him attend your audiofest. Maybe you could talk him into loaning you a pair for review. The specs compaired to their fostex counterparts makes them look like almost clones. I entered the six and eight inch specs into WINisd and ran some sims for bass reflex and they look nearly identical to the fostex guys.
I personally like the black cone look better than the creamy white of the fostex but speakers are less for looking at and more for listening to. I wish I could attend but I am just too far away (utah).
Best wishes
Ron Brady

Re: Audio Nirvana Speakers [message #20756 is a reply to message #20752] Sun, 27 March 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
I've been looking at them too.  The six incher looks good for a TL, my fave load of abuse, if a little shy in Xmax, which might limit its max good volume; Fostii suffer from this as well.

You might want to watch out for Mr. Dicks' recommended boxes.  I had a couple guys post me from my site who had put the Fostex 206 in his load and were wondering what they might have done wrong, since they were not experiencing the thunderous bass he had described.  I think it very unlikely that you will get Big Bass from an eight with a Qt of 0.19 in a vented box; you can run the sims in WinISD yourself.  This looks like a horn driver to me.  The six looks like an overall better driver for a VB or TL, even with its higher Fs.

2¢,

Poinz

Addendum. [message #20757 is a reply to message #20756] Sun, 27 March 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
I have had good luck generally using drivers with Big Motor Syndrome, and both of these certainly have a bad case of that.

Poinz

Re: Nirvana drivers [message #20758 is a reply to message #20755] Sun, 27 March 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Lots of talk about these over only a --whatsits?--- $20 savings
and unknown shipping costs. There's been talk about these
over in the Full Range driver forum and it's cooled off
quite a bit.

Still the big magnet/motor is appealing in a big iron sort
of way.

lon [yearning for the old RS1197 days of $5.00 product
that only the experimenters knew about]

Re: Audio Nirvana Speakers [message #20759 is a reply to message #20752] Sun, 27 March 2005 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
All depends on the Qts of the driver and the efficency. Sorry but any body that reccomends a low Qts driver in a BR alingment needs to study physics. It can work in a balanced system with added series resistance(loss in efficency) or a current drive ( added parallel resistance, same loss in efficency in theory) but if the noted Qts is within the order of .19 then it either needs BHL or some sort of compensation for the lower Qts. Like my pet theory ( which i really need to find the time to investigate) of loading the driver to the proper amount to allow low Qts drivers to operate efficently in BR and MLTL alingments without the efficency robbing effects of series resistance. As MK stated to me " think outside of the box". Its good advice.
ron

Re: Audio Nirvana Speakers [message #20760 is a reply to message #20759] Sun, 27 March 2005 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You make some very good points. There's a review of the 2.5 mkII Twin Port speakers with Lowther PM6C drivers in the April May issue of Sensible Sound. Different and higher quality drivers but the same ported enclosure. As you predict, the bass is nothing to write home about but the system does have some other redeeming features. David can't make it to the GPAF so someone will have to build a pair and review them for us. Any volunteers?

Link to the review [message #20761 is a reply to message #20760] Sun, 27 March 2005 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/lowther.pdf

Previous Topic: Yamaha SP1 - Digital Array for HT
Next Topic: Fostex break- in proceedures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 17:41:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio