Home » Audio » Speaker » New: First Watt amplifiers by Nelson Pass
Re: Tube amps and SS amps may be indistinguishable! [message #20268 is a reply to message #20261] Sat, 07 August 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron
>>! BTW, tube amps, to the best of my knowledge, are VOLTAGE amplification devices.

==No, they are what is being refferred to as "non-optimal" current sources.

KYW writes(@diyhifi.com) about this now ressurected technology (below)

:>. Funny that this is how they made high sensitivity speakers in the 1930's, 40's and 50's, which they buiild with suitable damping in the driver and the enclosure and then drove with SE Class A Pentodes (current sources). If you need good examples look into many an old radio (untill they started throwing tons of feedack in and separating the speakers from the amplifiers).

Interesting that Nelson Pass's approach is basically the same thing again 50 or 60 years later. I guess what goes around comes around....

>>SO the 45 amp is a voltage amplification device, as opposed to a SS amp. I am sure you knew this, but somehow from the post, which again mostly went over my head, it seemed maybe you were comparing a 45 SET to the new Nelson Pass Solid State design, and calling them equivalent.

==No. The 45 in class A is only 2 watts with large *current* swings. And why it is probably the only tube I firmly reccomend for the larger fullrangers like 208, 206. 45 operates as a near current source, and why it sounds so dynamic and well balanced.

A 45 SET has it'sown liitations. I do compare a 45 to the new firstwatt amp directly, because the big reason is *Class* -A- operatiopn, NO feedback used, as in most SS amps. SET and Nelsons amps share class A operation and like little else. There is only 1 gain stage in Nelsons amp, 2 in most well designed SET's. In a solid state amp there are inumersous gainstages iserting phase adjustments to the source at each stage. The cost for all this Class A operation? Heat and energy consumption. They are not efficient amps. They are the "funny car" euivalent to a "commuter car". The F-1 is definately clocking 5 second 1/4 milers. 45's are waaayy cheaper to build and implement than a solid state device running class A, and low power high impedance output. Cool thing about 45 too is you can keep beefing the power supply making it perform MORE as a current source makig it even more dynamic and beautiful. By beefing the PS you enable the impedances at the extremes to be supported in the frequency domain giving wider bandwidth which translates to balanced "fast" sound with more detail. Your ears are not lying. Only 45's are 45's. They will run out of gas. But what a great ride.

TC

voltage amps, current sources [message #20269 is a reply to message #20268] Sat, 07 August 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rohit is currently offline  rohit
Esquire
The amplifier acts like a constant current source because it has high output impedance. It is actually somewhere in between constant voltage and constant current. It acts more and more like a constant current source as output impedance rises though. The tube itself is a voltage amp, since that is what swings the most. A transistor is sensitive to current but a tube is sensitive to voltage. Hence the name "voltage amp." Hope this helps.
Rohit

Thanks, Rohit. NT [message #20270 is a reply to message #20269] Sat, 07 August 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
NT

Re: Terry, could not really understand most of your post...maybe you can clarify? [message #20271 is a reply to message #20264] Sat, 07 August 2004 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lynn Olsen has been doing research on this internal resistance/ damping factor/back EMF and their respective effects on amp/speaker interface for 20 yrs. The reason for transformer coupling he claims is to attenuate the impact of back EMF from reaching the plate of the output tube. There are reams of empirical data to support his claims so I won't pretend to offer a grasp of his work it's easily found on the net. This is old stuff dealt with over many design choices and explains much of what you all are discussing.

Re: Tube amps and SS amps may be indistinguishable! [message #20274 is a reply to message #20262] Mon, 09 August 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi AK Let me know when you put all that tube stuff up for sale. I got some nice SS things here open for trade! The Q argument is old hat. Like the engineers say, Don't re-invent the wheel.

Re: New: First Watt amplifiers by Nelson Pass [message #20323 is a reply to message #20245] Sun, 29 August 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
I first spoke with Kent about the First Watt amps back in Nov/Dec. last year. I sent Kent a pair of my favorite speakers for testing. I don’t think Nelson ever heard them! I also sent a driver back to them a month or so ago for more “testing”. A couple weeks ago I called to check on progress and had the privilege of speaking to Nelson again. What a great fellow he is. He said that soon I would get an amp to play with. This I am very much looking forward to…..I have been using ( I bought it) a Pass X 150 for a year now. I am not sure why so many believe that high efficiency single driver speakers do not “like” SS. My X150 sounds excellent…..so does my Audio Note 300B or Fi X 2A3. I hear no “solid state” problems at all. I would be willing to bet that most people could not tell which amp is actually playing…..this I have demonstrated more than once. It seems in my case my room is more of a problem than the type of amplifier used. It will be very interesting to hear (if possible) the difference between the First Watt amps and the X150. I do not think the power difference will be much of a factor as (at least in my case) my favorite speakers are more limited in output by “doppler distortion” than anything else. The mighty X150 is only good for a couple more DB than the 2A3 for this reason. It does not sound “more powerful” even though it is, a lot more. It simply sounds musical, the same as the tube stuff. I love tubes, and yes I think it is easier to get “music” out of tubes than SS but that does not HAVE to be the case. There are plenty of expensive bad sounding amps of both types…..and I have heard examples of both (no names, please). I’ll post impressions when it comes. Glad to see people are interested in them.
Ed Schilling

Re: New: First Watt amplifiers by Nelson Pass [message #20334 is a reply to message #20323] Tue, 31 August 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nelsonpass is currently offline  nelsonpass
Esquire
I did hear them, but not under the room conditions they deserved.

Re: New: First Watt amplifiers by Nelson Pass [message #20335 is a reply to message #20334] Tue, 31 August 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
10-4. Thanks for the reply, Nelson! they deserve a better room than I have as well! I Bet those hundred amps do not hang around very long! As I said...I love the X 150.......there is no doubt in my mind about the First Watt...I can hardly wait.
Ed

Re: New: First Watt amplifiers by Nelson Pass [message #20336 is a reply to message #20335] Tue, 31 August 2004 12:02 Go to previous message
Baron
Not that your room is "bad", mine is. Rather, I understand what you meant. I re-read my post and it did not seem to convey what I meant to say! There,I feel better now.
Ed

Previous Topic: JBL Project pt2: We now have stereo!
Next Topic: Push-Pull horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 00:02:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout