Home » Audio » Speaker » "Distributed Mode Radiation"
"Distributed Mode Radiation" [message #20232] Mon, 02 August 2004 11:19 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Look what Linc found, and posted in the Planar forum. He's right, it looks like the same idea that Manger uses. Basically, the idea is to allow the cone surface to flex and to use each decoupled zone as a separate radiator.

Re: "Distributed Mode Radiation" [message #20233 is a reply to message #20232] Mon, 02 August 2004 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Wayne,

Looked at some of the plotted data, it is clear thay are using MathCad for doing some of the calculations and data reduction/plotting. Gotta like that a lot!

Martin

Re: "Distributed Mode Radiation" [message #20234 is a reply to message #20233] Mon, 02 August 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yep, yep. Mathcad is an excellent tool. I love FEA software too.

Re: "Distributed Mode Radiation" [message #20235 is a reply to message #20232] Tue, 03 August 2004 03:58 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What a great link. Thanks Linc & Wayne!
My take afer a very cursory reading was that: a) it reduces beaming and b) it does so with few tradeoffs.
However, i am curious if the piston model is not better in some way for natural reproduction. It just seems more "intuitive" than a random model. Doesn't a large array of speakers approximate the random model? Aren't there issues with the many driver array design that involve fundamental tradeoffs when compared to a single driver or even a 2-3 way design?
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Taking a wild guess here about cross-over design
Next Topic: Short Coaxial Horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 07:46:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers