Home » Audio » General » Upcoming Events
Nah again. [message #1963 is a reply to message #1960] Sun, 03 July 2005 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
There was no injection foam on the outside corners; it was the original styrofoam blocks.  What I'm learning is that all the regular packing padders can't take a point drop on a corner; the padding crushes and the corner gets bashed.

My really big brainstorm was the cornerbead, which is a lot like Bob's hardboard corners. It's slightly flexible plastic, in a 1¼" x 1¼" 90° channel. It's tough, easily cut with a rock knife, and an 8 foot stick is a dollar.  I'm now putting 1½" styrofoam all around the piece, and the cornerbead in all the corners, wrapping the piece itself in thin packing foam.  Those guys will destroy their own equipment before they damage another piece of my gear, I hope.

This is suspicions confirmed for me, by the way. All I have to do is mention that I had a piece damaged, and all the guys with businesses crank up this very pithy thread explaining their dozens of extreme attempts and solutions. This is obviously a very large problem for everybody.

Thanks,

Poinz

Re: Nah again. [message #1964 is a reply to message #1963] Sun, 03 July 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The logistics side of the deal is the biggest pain, you're right.

Re: Upcoming Events [message #1966 is a reply to message #1954] Mon, 04 July 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
Absoluterootootely!

Well...provided I can get time to get out and about. I have a bunch of partners this time in the room, so hopefully I'll have time to get out and see all the cool stuff.

Regards,

Lee

Re: Yo! Poinz. [message #1967 is a reply to message #1960] Mon, 04 July 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
Good grief! For the shipper to damage soemthing that used foam in place packaging, they must have used the box as a wrecking ball. Every day I'm amazed at how shippers treat packages!

Lee

Re: My solution [message #1969 is a reply to message #1962] Mon, 04 July 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
BTW, where do you get your boxes? I've been paying the UPS store to do the final pack, but they just priced themselves out of business.

I need 48x13x13 or something that can be cut down to that. I may well have to telescope 24" boxes.

Bob

Re: Nah again. [message #1970 is a reply to message #1963] Mon, 04 July 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Where are you getting plastic corner bead? I Googled the world, but all I came up with is the common steel corner bead.

I think that corner bead on all sides would be better than corner blocks. Take less room in the box, too.

Bob

Drywall cornerbead. [message #1971 is a reply to message #1970] Mon, 04 July 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Okay, I now grok on the fact that you guys are my peers in audio smallbiz, but not necessarily in construction.  Cornerbead is a drywall (sheetrock) accessory.  It's what's used to define outside corners in normal interior construction.  It's a resillient, slightly flexible plastic outside 90° channel moulding that is put on the corners of your home to define the edge of that vertical corner.

If you already know what you're looking for, you can go to HomeDespot and save a dime a stick.  I (shamefully) do.  If you don't, look in your local Yellow Pages for drywall (sheetrock) places, and go there.  Tell the girl at the counter, 'I want four sticks of regular plastic cornerbead.'  If you spend more than five clams, post me and I shall reimburse.  By the way, this is also the place to get 1" and 1½" styrofoam sheets 2' x 4' at the best price.  This is where I get the stuff, and cut up on my saw to fit the box.

Once you do this, you can of course then go to HomeDespot and save a dime; but like me you will probably go back to the drywall place to repeat, both for your industrial ethos, and to flirt with the sheetrock girl     :^)

Serious, in gold-plated Maui, the stuff is $1.08 / stick (8').

Prosper,

E.

Re: My solution [message #1972 is a reply to message #1969] Mon, 04 July 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I get shipping materials at PaperMart.com. They carry just about every size shipping carton you can imagine.

Re: Drywall cornerbead. [message #1973 is a reply to message #1971] Tue, 05 July 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks.

HD won't let you look at their stock on line, so I'll go in and look.

Bob

Re: My solution [message #1974 is a reply to message #1972] Tue, 05 July 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Thanks

Bob

Previous Topic: New copy protection
Next Topic: Beam Echo Model SPA-21
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 03:34:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio