Home » Audio » General » Post Shopping Advice
Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1924 is a reply to message #1923] Sat, 25 June 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s7on3d is currently offline  s7on3d
Esquire
Classical:
Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries, Beethoven's 5th (emperor) Piano Concerto, Bernstein's West Side Story, Schubert's 8th, Rimsky-Korsakov's Scherazade, Dvorak's 9th Symphony, Mozart's 40th Symphony, Mozart's Marriage of Figaro, Grieg Piano Concerto, Mahler's 1st and 2nd Symphonies, Stravinsky's Petrushka, Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Nutcracker Suite, Vivaldi's 4 seasons and concerto for 4 violins, Dragonetti's Double Bass concerto, Bach's Cello suites.

Jazz: I'll just give you a list of musicians / bands that I like.
Marcus Miller, Mike Stern, Jaco Pastorius, Dizzie Gilespie, Miles Davis,Charlie Parker, Spyro Gyra, Kenny Burrell, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Norah Jones' more Jazzy material, Aretha Franklin, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Haden, Oscar Peterson.

More Modern Stuff:
Led Zepplin, Incubus, Beatles, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, John Williams, Lenny Kravitz, Oi Va Voi, Queen.

That's most of my day-to-day playlist... Tell me what you think.

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1925 is a reply to message #1914] Sat, 25 June 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
I agree with akilesh, the Teac is hard to beat at anywhere near the price. Mod it a little and it's really quite a good little amp.

That amp and a pair of Wayne's speakers, or GR Research if you want something different, would really give a long term solution. I think Wayne has a finished speaker for $350!

Regards,

Lee

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1926 is a reply to message #1924] Sat, 25 June 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; I think you have a well rounded approach and I enjoy most of your list, but I was looking more for individual recommendations of interesting music you might have come across that you don't find to be that well known. BTW I appreciate you taking the time to address this post. You seem to be knowledgeable and have an eclectic repretoir.
I have Tom Harrells,"Wise Child", on the player. Gorgeous melodies interspersed with solid big band riffs.

Re: Addendum [message #1927 is a reply to message #1920] Sat, 25 June 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The TEAC is a lot cheaper. I'd buy the cheaper amp, and spend more on speakers.
IF you want the warm sound, just connect a 2 ohm resistor in series with the TEAC and the speakers you use. In fact, try that with any of the maps you have auditioned. Let us know what you find.
-akhilesh

Re: Addendum [message #1928 is a reply to message #1927] Sat, 25 June 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s7on3d is currently offline  s7on3d
Esquire
How could I add a resistor in a store when auditioning the recievers?

Re: Addendum [message #1929 is a reply to message #1928] Sun, 26 June 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI,
Good point! The important thing is you are happy with what you have!
I have never heard any of the equipment you heard, but again, the important thing is how it sounds to you!
Have fun with it.
-akhilesh

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1931 is a reply to message #1914] Sun, 26 June 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi s7on3d,

After looking on the NAD website and the Stereophile recommended components list in the October 2004 issue. You may want take a look at the NAD C320BEEE compact reciever and add it to your component list.

The NAD C320BEE reciever, the Mission Beta 10's speakers that you mentioned earlier, along with a 10" Titanic MKIII subwoofer kit from parts Express should make for an ejoyable two channel system that will play classical music well.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-760

Madisound also, offers a decent entry level subwoofer kit that should work well with this sysytem. Got to madisound at: www.madisound.com and look on their kit page.

The Panasonic SAXR50 and XA55 are a few more recievers to check out on your search. http://www.pioneer.com

As others have advised you already, it is up to you to deside which system sounds best.

I personally like tube amplification, you can look on the used market at http://www.audiogon.com

If you search hard enough, you may find a good system at a good price, but patients pays off.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Norris Wilson

Re: Post Shopping Advice [message #1932 is a reply to message #1931] Sun, 26 June 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Whoa nellies,

That NAD is a bewt even if it is solid state.

How many months rent is it?

NAD C320BEEE = $399 (nt) [message #1933 is a reply to message #1932] Mon, 27 June 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
NT

Re: NAD C320BEEE = $399 (nt) [message #1934 is a reply to message #1933] Mon, 27 June 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Could be worse.

Could be better.

Previous Topic: Same great music on Vinyl vs. CD...
Next Topic: we 53A condenser mic power
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 16:58:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout