Home » Audio » Speaker » EV horn speakers
EV horn speakers [message #19411] Sun, 06 January 2008 21:38 Go to next message
Zarquon is currently offline  Zarquon
Esquire
Greetings!

I see lots of hornspeakers with Eminence, JBL, B&C and Precision Devices all around the net. Rarely do I find EV used though. Why is that? Aren't they good for horn loading? I seem to recall they were popular horn speakers 10 or 20 years ago. Where are they now? Anyone using EV to good effect?

Zarquon

Re: EV horn speakers [message #19413 is a reply to message #19411] Wed, 09 January 2008 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
I tried the EVX-155 in my horn bottom and it stunk bad, although the formulas might suggest that it is quite suitable for horn applications, i.e., my particular horn cabinet for instance.

However, it's much better in a reflex cabinet. A dreadful waste in a horn. But it kicks nicely in a 5 cu.ft reflex application.

DM

Re: EV horn speakers [message #19414 is a reply to message #19413] Wed, 09 January 2008 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zarquon is currently offline  Zarquon
Esquire
I wondered why I rarely see EV speakers in horns. What are your favs? Any recent projects to show?

Z

Re: EV horn speakers [message #19415 is a reply to message #19414] Thu, 10 January 2008 19:26 Go to previous message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
For a 15" horn driver there are alot of considerations such as the electrical impedance at the crossover point, the optimum throat size, mass rolloff, etc., but for a "general" butt-kicking horn driver, I'd start with the Eminence OMEGA PRO which is pretty astonishing as to its upper frequency rolloff while still providing butt-kicking bass in a horn. But it really depends on what you are doing or are trying to do. However, it will shake apart less-than-"well-made" cabinets. Find out how good your cabinetry really is.

DM

Previous Topic: Vance Dickason's website
Next Topic: zigmahornet translation?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 15:43:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers