Home » Audio » Speaker » Conical HF Horn?
Re: Conical HF Horn? [message #19301 is a reply to message #19300] Mon, 18 June 2007 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
I've read something of the sort concerning the old EV Mantaray stadium horns. Intuition tells me that the dense vertical interference will help mask the apparent apex difference. (Yes? Maybe?)

The singular task of finding just the right HF horn for this project has taken at least 4 times longer than it took to design the midrange horn! A pair has to fit exactly across the mouth in the vertical, they can't be too wide or too panel-like, they must be constant directivity, 90 degrees, and have a cutoff between 1.5kHz and 2kHz. I've even considered using a bi-radial horn sideways with a deflector to correct for upper-range dispersion!

Re: Conical HF Horn? [message #19302 is a reply to message #19301] Mon, 18 June 2007 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You'll be OK is you just array vertically. To tell the truth, at the frequency range where the dispersion slot works, you'd have more problems with center-to-center spacing than astigmatism. But I would suggest against splaying horns like this horizontally and grouping them as a vertical array also. Don't do two rows.

Re: Conical HF Horn? [message #19303 is a reply to message #19302] Mon, 18 June 2007 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Right! I'm avoiding the classic cluster array for all of my designs. Either they're vertical only, or they're horizontal (arced) only, but they're never both at the same time! For 2 of the 3 horizontal designs, I'm relying upon a high-quality, large format HF horn for segregation purposes, just the opposite of the HF section in the line array.

Re: Conical HF Horn? [message #19338 is a reply to message #19303] Fri, 27 July 2007 16:00 Go to previous message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
I don't remember EXACTLY where I read this, but I did somewhere that a conical horn does not have an Fc (low frequency cutoff) as we commonly know it. I don't know whether that means that it doesn't fall off at all, or that it is unpredicable where it falls off...

Dana

Previous Topic: JBL G-730 Diaphragm quest
Next Topic: passive crossover point
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:54:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers