Home » Audio » Speaker » Determining Low Freq Cut Off Of Folded Horn Box
Determining Low Freq Cut Off Of Folded Horn Box [message #19283] Mon, 11 June 2007 13:45 Go to next message
Ka7niq is currently offline  Ka7niq
Baron
I emailed this to Bill Fitzmaurice initially, and got an autoresponse saying I had to post it in his forum.
It wanted me to register first.

So, here is the question I sent to Bill.

Bill, thank you for all the support you provide to us audiophiles on
Audio Asylum and other Internet Forums. Â I picked up some old
Frazier Dixielander folded horn speakers that came out of an old movie
theatre. Here is a picture of one. Â I planned to sell off the wooden
horns and compression drivers, and wanted to explore if the folded horn
boxes could be used in a car trunk for my kids ? Â The drivers in
there are look like either an 8 or a 10, paper cone, looks like an old Quam
speaker if you recall them ? Â I do not know what the low freq cut
off of this folded horn box is, and if it would be low enough for my
kids rap music use ? Â I have my doubts if the stock driver will take
Rap either ?  How does one calculate the low end cut off of a
folded horn box ? Â I know you make a bass tuba, and know what it takes to
make kids happy. Â Think I have a chance with the right driver of
making these work for my kids ? Â Â
>

Re: Determining Low Freq Cut Off Of Folded Horn Box [message #19284 is a reply to message #19283] Tue, 12 June 2007 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The lower cutoff of a folded horn is largely determined by path length. However, the shape of the flare and mouth size determine overall response. If there isn't enough mouth size to support the horn, response will be peaky and bottom end response may not be all that great. The flare profile also sets the response as does the size of the front and rear chambers and the electro-mechanical parameters of the driver.

Hornresp does an excellent job of simulating basshorns. I've used it for years with good results. A good Hornresp model will predict the response of a basshorn with +/- 1dB accuracy - far better than what most people can measure. So I suggest you might want to use this program to model your horn.

Re: Determining Low Freq Cut Off Of Folded Horn Box [message #19285 is a reply to message #19283] Tue, 12 June 2007 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wouldn't call those Dixielander's folded horn boxes even though Frazier did. There more like slot loaded bass bins, similar to 4th order bandpass boxes. I know I've used those used those things back in high school, they were the cross-shoot monitors in our auditoriums stage. If I remember right they start rolling off about 70-80Hz with the original driver. So I'd have to say no, there not going to cut it for bass heavy rap music nowdays. I'd model other drivers in horn response and a 4th order bandpass program to decide which drivers might work. Some of the speakers that Frasier built were junk IMHO and the Dixielander was one of them.

Re: Determining Low Freq Cut Off Of Folded Horn Box [message #19286 is a reply to message #19285] Tue, 12 June 2007 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sure looks like a folded horn to me, and I was told it was ?
It has a box within a box with a 10 inch woofer in it.

Hey, maybe if I stuck a longer throw driver in it the kids could use it ?

Are you sure you remember the dixielander ?
It has a top mounted compression driver.
I will come back and post a picture of it

Here is a Picture ! [message #19287 is a reply to message #19285] Tue, 12 June 2007 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Here ya go Bill, isn;t this a folded horn box ?

Re: Here is a Picture ! [message #19288 is a reply to message #19287] Tue, 12 June 2007 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yep those are the ones, the only thing I liked about them was there midrange horn that sets up on top and they went loud (very loud). But measure the total area of the openings for the mouth area and your going to see it's not going to be that large for a bass horn mouth anyway, and you have what maybe 2 to 2 1/2 foot of pathlength to the center of the woofer.

Re: Here is a Picture ! [message #19289 is a reply to message #19288] Tue, 12 June 2007 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I am not relly a horn guy Bill, what does this mean ?

In a car, if a speaker will go down to 40 hz, it will sound ok with the gain from the car.

What do you think this box might go down to with the right driver ?

Re: Here is a Picture ! [message #19290 is a reply to message #19289] Wed, 13 June 2007 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I haven't a clue so it's best to model it.

Re: Here is a Picture ! [message #19336 is a reply to message #19290] Fri, 27 July 2007 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
I agree with Bill.

That's a Frazier, and while it has some relationship to a horn, and it's definitely a folded air column, it is also clear that the mouthsize is far too small to act as an effective horn as we know it. More like a short (but expanding?) labyrinthic (capacitive) column with diffraction slot or a wide(r) bandpass port.

It will go low; how low, who knows? My GUESS is that:
(1) due to the VERY SHORT pathway, but which still affords some expansion, it has a wider bandpass than a simple reflex port, and it will (due to capacitance), decrease the upper frequency bandpass.
(2) it is also apparently front-loaded, and it will display somewhat higher efficiency due to the air column increasing acoustic impedance.
(3) the "slot" exit effect is another acoustic filter subject also to difractive dispersion characteristics.

So it should do lows, sort of a precursor to slot-loaded subwoofers. Now as to the driver employed, probably NOT a modern subwoofer type. My guess is effective down to approx. 50 Hz, probably with some good punchiness.

I've never heard one, I'm just guessing. Take all of this with a grain of salt!

DM

Re: Determining Low Freq Cut Off Of Folded Horn Box [message #19409 is a reply to message #19283] Wed, 26 December 2007 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jeffery L is currently offline  Jeffery L
Chancellor
I have built a Bill Fitzmaurice Auto Tuba and I put it in my car. It was built with a width of 12", which is about the smallest you would want to build it, 15" width is the recommended. I would say it responds well down to 25Hz-30Hz. If it goes any lower than that I cannot hear it. If it was built wider the lower end response would be alot better. In a car there is a good deal of cabin gain.

I used the 8" MCM woofer, purchased for about $35. Don't be discouraged by the small driver as this horn will easily keep up with a decent 12" or 15" speaker that are using a lot more power. I am using less than 100 watts at any given time, most of the time less than ten watts.

BTW way, I like to listen to a lot or rap, metal, sometimes some Josh Groban (for the wife). It easily keeps up with any music. The bass is very precise and tight at any sound level.

This is the speaker I used

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?product_id=55-2421&catalog_name=MCMProducts

These are three different reviews,each differing in use and design.

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1539

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4201

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3682

Previous Topic: Can car coaxs be used in line arrays?
Next Topic: thourght I'd show y'all my latest...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 01:52:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio