Home » Audio » Speaker » 1:1 throat area
Re: 1:1 throat area [message #19120 is a reply to message #19118] Thu, 22 February 2007 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
I'm thinking that the transition should be either as short as possible, or very gradual if it must be longer. The first idea was small strips of solid wood with triangular cuts, assembled like a picture frame. Not sure what to do aout the corners, if anything. Maybe the frame could include a phase plug? (I'd rather not muck about with phase plugs...!) I just want to discourage reflections off the baffle/throat panel.

Re: 1:1 throat area [message #19124 is a reply to message #19120] Fri, 23 February 2007 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swett is currently offline  swett
Baron
Have you read this paper by JBL? They have a very complex looking phase plug and it talks about why using smaller(6" and 8") drivers is wise for a midrange horn/waveguide.

http://www.jblpro.com/PD5000/PDF/PT_WaveGuide.pdf

Re: 1:1 throat area [message #19126 is a reply to message #19124] Fri, 23 February 2007 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the link, Ian! Article is downloaded, I'll let you know what I think when finished reading later this year.... Since the considered cones might be paired with a 2" horn/driver combo, I'm hesitant to go smaller than 10", unless I decide to use an adaptor for a 1" driver instead (entirely feasible). The HF horn I have in mind is the DDS CFD2-25, with an interchangeable 25x30 degree coverage, turned sideways for the 30-degree application.

I took example for the "Transitional Throat Waveguide-type Thingy" from the EV X-Line 3-way box. The vertically stacked pair of 8" cones have what I seek.

Re: 1:1 throat area [message #19128 is a reply to message #19126] Mon, 26 February 2007 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I initially intended (wanted/expected) to use a 6" or 8" driver in my midhorn, but couldn't get the response I wanted, mostly down low. The horn can be made large enough, but driver parameters prevented me from getting the low end and smooth response I wanted. Not to say that's the case for every driver, but it was for the ones I was looking at.

Re: 1:1 throat area [message #19132 is a reply to message #19128] Tue, 27 February 2007 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swett is currently offline  swett
Baron
Which drivers did you try?

Conical midhorns with 6" and 8" drivers [message #19133 is a reply to message #19132] Tue, 27 February 2007 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I evaluated the Eminence Alpha 6, LA6-MB, LA6-MR, LA6-CBMR, Alpha 8 and Beta 8. Some I simply modeled, and found them too far out of line to be worth building a physical model to test. Some I decided would be worth building a prototype to measure, but ultimately found various things that prevented me from choosing any of those drivers. The problems I encountered were peaky response or too little lower midrange extension for my purpose. However, Adrian Mack used the Alpha 6 and was pleased with its performance. Response didn't go low enough for what I wanted to do, but his horn looked great to me and I expect it probably sounded good. Check out Adrian's posts in the links below:

Re: Conical midhorns with 6" and 8" drivers [message #19134 is a reply to message #19133] Wed, 28 February 2007 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Have you tried any of the smaller-format B&C drivers in any horn designs, like the 8PE21 or the 6MD38?

Re: Conical midhorns with 6" and 8" drivers [message #19136 is a reply to message #19134] Wed, 28 February 2007 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I didn't try any B&C cone midrange drivers. If you do, by Hornresp model or physical prototype, let us know what you find, will you?

Re: Conical midhorns with 6" and 8" drivers [message #19140 is a reply to message #19136] Thu, 01 March 2007 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Eventually, I'll get a round tuit and model the 8PE21, as I'd like to use it in something.

Personally, if money weren't an option, there's PLENTY of brands I'd choose first over Eminence! Amongst others, the B&C 1" drivers and smaller cone midranges are some of the better choices. The semi-obscure Oberton has received some good feedback about their 1" drivers, as well (www.oberton.com). Some of their cones look kinda iffy, though....

Re: Conical midhorns with 6" and 8" drivers [message #19141 is a reply to message #19140] Thu, 01 March 2007 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've always considered Eminence to be a good brand, but I do prefer JBL in most cases. JBL puts a shorting ring in most of their woofers and mids, and that makes a big difference. B&C strikes me as being somewhere in between.

Previous Topic: comb filter distorsion
Next Topic: Adding Tweeter to Full Range Driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 19:29:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout