Home » Audio » General » Sprkman57 Got Me
Re: Sprkman57 Got Me [message #1808 is a reply to message #1805] Thu, 26 May 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your Foreplay already has "sweet whispers." That's why the volume knobs have detents - They're actually rotary switches instead of potentiometers. Your Foreplay is maxed out, having been upgraded with all the Bottlehead mods - C4S, stepped attenuators, gold plated connectors and Solen capacitors.

Re: Sprkman57 Got Me (and me) [message #1809 is a reply to message #1807] Thu, 26 May 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I actually wound up trading the 811s for Ron's 511s. I need to the 511s to go with the 500Hz Xover Ron threw in. Trading your 811 lenses was not my original intention (sorry), but it just happened to work out that way. I still plan on powder coating the 511 lenses. Also, the cabs have seen some use and really need to be restored. There are a lot of dings and corner chips in the cabs, but the cabs still have the original VOTT emblem on the sides. After they are filled and sanded, I'm going to call some local auto body shops and see what they would charge to paint. I also need to do some more research on this system to see what needs to be done to bring them back up to factory specs.

Acquiring the A7s was just a stroke of good luck. My initial intention was to go with the Model 19s, but Ron had the parts just laying around and was willing to help out; so, it was an offer I could not refuse. I'll keep everybody up to date on the progress. This is going to be fun......Colin

Re: Sprkman57 Got Me (and me) [message #1810 is a reply to message #1809] Thu, 26 May 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Cool, good trade, I always did like the sound of the A7's better than I did the 19's. You'll have a great sounding system when you get it going.

Bill W.

Re: Sprkman57 Got Me [message #1811 is a reply to message #1808] Thu, 26 May 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zincman is currently offline  zincman
Baron
Yeah I thought that I had read some posts where the attenuation can be changed. I even thought about looking into the sweetest whispers to see if any addtional gain might be realized. Don't get me wrong I get very good sound and levels, I am just not accustomed to using as much volume as I do to achieve it.

Re: Sprkman57 Got Me (and me) [message #1813 is a reply to message #1810] Thu, 26 May 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Like I said, it was not my intention to part with the 811s, but I just could not pass up Ron's offer. For someone who had never heard horns before, I sure went off the deep end......Colin

Re: Sprkman57 Got Me [message #1814 is a reply to message #1804] Thu, 26 May 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for the welcome mat. I started my audio love in 1975 as a salesman for a mid-fi shop, never new what I was missing all these years. Ron is indeed a great source for gear and info and spins a pretty good conversation. Although he sometimes speaks a speaker language that is foreign to me no the less still very educational.
Tim

Re: Sprkman57 Got Me [message #1815 is a reply to message #1808] Thu, 26 May 2005 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne just recieved a little insight from Paul Joppa regarding the gain/volume so I think my brain is all square on the subject. And again very nice build on the Bottlehead stuff. I took the cowards way out, too much work for me????

A7 has a bit morelife to it! [message #1833 is a reply to message #1813] Sun, 29 May 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I know Colin will like the A7 VOTT speakers as I have gotten a bit of what he looks for in a speaker system and he listens to music at a lower level than most.

My recommendation to Colin was to get a 45 or 2A3(or lower wattage triode) amp for running this for best results. I can't wait to visit Colin and listen to the system when he is done.

My opinion of Colin is that he is very meticulous and will have the system operating at its best potential.

Now I have to get the home-made A7 VOTT cabinets out of the basement for Tim(zincman) and he can make a pair also.

For someone wanting to make a close clone of the Model 19, I have a pair of Altec 1234 cabinets that would work well with some tweaking.

Ron

Re: A7 has a bit morelife to it! [message #1835 is a reply to message #1833] Sun, 29 May 2005 13:03 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Here's what I've done so far:

- Replaced the back access panel with 3/4" MDF.
- Sealed the horn flair with clear Si caulk
- Tuned the port
- Made cabinet air tight

Things left to do:

- Mount the horn
- Wire them up
- Listen to tunes

Things to do in the future

- More internal bracing (maybe)
- Fill in areas beside the horn flair
- Build low power PP or SE amp

.....Colin

Previous Topic: Happy Memorial Day weekend!
Next Topic: Visit to Spkrman57's house (pic)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:12:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio