Home » Audio » Speaker » Experience with BMS 4592 ND (16 Ohm)? A few questions - Bill M.?
Experience with BMS 4592 ND (16 Ohm)? A few questions - Bill M.? [message #18656] Thu, 23 March 2006 13:06 Go to next message
Peter K is currently offline  Peter K
Chancellor
Hi,

I would really like to hear from people who has direct experience with the BMS 4592 ND (16 Ohm version). I do not have access to measuring equipment, so I have a few questions that I hope someone would answer:

1. Does the BMS “mid” have a higher sensitivity than the BMS “tweeter” section and if “yes”, then how many dB’s in difference?
2. Where do you place the crossover between the mid and the high section? (I know that BMS recommends 6,300 Hz, but I have also heard that some people have had difficulties making the two sections “reach” each other.)
3. What is the impedance of the BMS “tweeter” at this crossover point?

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Peter

Re: Experience with BMS 4592 ND (16 Ohm)? A few questions - Bill M.? [message #18657 is a reply to message #18656] Mon, 27 March 2006 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
Peter, I cannot speak to the neodium version (4592) but I can about the 4590. The overall system Z for the combination mid and tweeter is 10 Ohms.

Complex impedance of the two halves of the BMS coaxial driver (mid and tweeter):

The midrange is 10.4 Ohms at a 39 degree phase impedance, equivalent to 13.5 Ohms in parallel with 0.44 mHy.

The tweeter plot is 7.54 Ohms at a 7.55 degree phase impedance, equivalent to 7.54 Ohms in series with 26 uHy.

The 6300Hz is recommended by BMS because that is where a VERY slight peak appears in the frequency response. I chose 6K for my crossover point.

The tweeter sensitivity is seemingly just fine straight up with the mid, HOWEVER, I chose to attenuate both mid and tweeter frequencies (prior to "splitting" them up)with the same autoformer, so I have a separate tweeter crossover AFTER the attenuation.

The tweeter runs "straight" with the midrange driver once that level is set. The tweeter is not the problem, it's the midrange!

Dana M.

Re: Experience with BMS 4592 ND (16 Ohm)? A few questions - Bill M.? [message #18658 is a reply to message #18657] Mon, 27 March 2006 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
Oops! I neglected the 16 Ohm part! Sorry.
My previous post won't have much value in that case.

Dana

Re: Experience with BMS 4592 ND (16 Ohm)? A few questions - Bill M.? [message #18664 is a reply to message #18658] Tue, 28 March 2006 11:26 Go to previous message
Peter Krojgaard is currently offline  Peter Krojgaard
Baron
Hi DMoore,

Thanks a lot for your reply anyway!

Regards
Peter

Previous Topic: l-acoustics mtd 115a reliability
Next Topic: Is calculations of L-pads based on "nominal impedance" or Re?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 18:38:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio