Home » Audio » Speaker » Sub placement
Re: 5000 subwoofers [message #18612 is a reply to message #18609] Mon, 27 February 2006 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The study had a lot to say about decorrelation regarding your interest so I thought I'd post it. Not being trained in acoustics I have only a rudimentary understanding of exactly what these terms mean but a good bit of this particular study came through.
I have to say that I like university funded studies if only for the reason that they are more independant. While commercially funded studies of course must still provide the data and methodology; we all know how these things can be subtley tweaked towards a finding commiserate with the philosophy of the commercial entity.
But yes; they absolutely said the Front to Back is a no-no.

Room energy distribution [message #18630 is a reply to message #18595] Wed, 01 March 2006 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Please don't take offense, Earl. Your work is not being discounted, not in the least. Let me try to phrase this differently.

My problem with random placement is that it is, well, random. I do not see how you can assert with any confidence that a random placement is better than an ordered placement. You can say that a random group arrangement will smooth the sound field by averaging, but that can be said of an ordered array too. In general, the more sources the better, whether random or ordered. But the question remains, where are the best places to put the subs. I am not convinced that a random arrangement is best.

What I'd like to see are 3D energy distribution plots of each of a handful of test setups. Not just the average and deviation, and not just the plot of a single position or small area in the center of the room. I'd like to see energy distribution charts of the whole room, showing various room sizes and speaker placement configurations. So far, Welti has provided the most data. Perhaps his study is incomplete, but that has yet to be seen.

you know Earl... [message #18641 is a reply to message #18582] Sat, 04 March 2006 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
all this discusion regarding your theory would be a whole lot different if everybody who actually heard your wares had a high opinion of them.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Sub placement [message #18646 is a reply to message #18589] Sun, 19 March 2006 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Some years back, at Ford, we measured the LF signals for about 100 CD's. I believe that every one of them, or at least virtually every one, had mono LF signals. There is simply no way to distinguish between a mono LF signal and a stereo one so why not have multiple speakers share the LF load. Now if the audio producers figured out the advantage of a decorrelated stero LF signal things might be different, but then when summed to mono, the signal would be degraded.

No, the right thing to do is to send a mono LF signal, and then decorrelate this signal between several sources on playback. That way there is no degradation in the case of a single sub.

Re: 5000 subwoofers [message #18647 is a reply to message #18596] Sun, 19 March 2006 19:39 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Thanks for that posting. I have not read the report thouroughly, but it looks interesting.

I did read enough to know that you should be carefull in interpretation of these results. Thats because they generated ideal signals that were correlated and uncorrelated and we cannot do that with real sources like CDs.

There was no discussion of "preference" only "audibility". So it cannot be concluded, per se, that they would recommend front to back or side to side placement, only that there is a possibility that they will sound different.

Previous Topic: Raw Acoustics Omega's
Next Topic: 4.5 " driver 8 per side for a mini array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 08:21:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout