Home » Audio » Speaker » Mounting Woofer
Mounting Woofer [message #18254] Thu, 10 November 2005 16:20 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Well, I've decided to build something bigger than I started out wanting, a 3.5 ft box with a JBL 2226 and JBL horn. As I'm working on the cabinets I'm wondering if I should flush mount the woofers. I'm using 3/4" plywood, but could double up the front baffle if needed. Also, any thoughts on bracing?
Thanks!

Next Question... [message #18255 is a reply to message #18254] Thu, 10 November 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
As I plan the layout of the front baffle, I'm worried that there isn't enough room. I've thought to put the horn on top, which is fine with me and allows for easy experimenting down the line. At any rate, the baffle is 17.75 x 26.5, overall box is 1.5" taller and wider. I need to also accomodate two 4" ports. I can cram all this on the front, but wondering if that is the smartest idea. Also, is there a minimum distance from the port to the woofer? If I put the horn on top, how close to it should I try to mount the woofer?
Thanks!!

oops, forgot... [message #18256 is a reply to message #18255] Thu, 10 November 2005 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The horn is a JBL 2370A, which is 6.8" high by 17.5" wide. Woofer is a 2226, 15.25" wide.

Re: oops, forgot... [message #18259 is a reply to message #18256] Fri, 11 November 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can place the port close to the woofer, but try to place it so that midrange reflections aren't directed out the port. Position it so the entrance angle won't allow a straight shot, because that will provide attenuation of the midrange in the port. You can also use absorbent stuffing to help absorb midrange energies inside the chamber. You'll also want to position the port and driver in the cabinet so standing waves don't setup a resonant node, but it sounds likle the size of cabinet and port will make this pretty unlikely. That's usually more of a concern when the box is large and/or the port is long.

Re: oops, forgot... [message #18261 is a reply to message #18259] Fri, 11 November 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks, Wayne!

Re: oops, forgot... [message #18266 is a reply to message #18256] Sun, 13 November 2005 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
Steve, what driver are you using with the JBL horn?

Jim D

It is the 2426 (nt) [message #18267 is a reply to message #18266] Mon, 14 November 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
(nt)

Re: Mounting Woofer [message #18268 is a reply to message #18254] Mon, 14 November 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
Steve, I'm curious - in your original post you mentioned having used Pi Thermionic 3's but said they had low "WAF" and poor imaging. How do you see this new speaker differing from the Pi 3's? How did you decide on this combination?

I am on a similar quest to yours, and have been following your threads with great interest. Also, where are you purchasing your JBL components?

Jim Dombrowski

Re: Mounting Woofer [message #18269 is a reply to message #18268] Mon, 14 November 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Jim, excellent question! I had a chance to listen to a set up at Ron's (spkrman57)house and thought it was awsome (used JBL 2226 on the bottom and JBL drivers w/Edgar horns on top). The Thermionic 3pi uses Eminance drivers and I'm hoping that the JBLs are part of the answer to a better overall sound. The combo I'm building also has a bit smaller foot print than the old speakers (at about 3.5 ft3). I really like what horns do in terms of dynamics, so trying another horn design, especially with Ron's help, is compelling. And, at the end of the day, if I don't like them for Hi-Fi, I'll use them for home theater. Oh, last, in terms of space, I've been relocated to the basement where space and WAF isn't as big of an issue as it was when I was trying to make something work for the living room... of course that does not mean I have complete freedom (sigh).

Re: Mounting Woofer [message #18270 is a reply to message #18269] Mon, 14 November 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the biggest difference will come from upgrading the midwoofer. The JBL 2226 is a significantly better (and more expensive) driver. There's a world of difference between the Pro series and the Thermionic series in both price and performance.

Previous Topic: Acoustat 1+1 bias voltage idea
Next Topic: Folded horns with curves, about 60 – 500 Hz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 22:48:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout