Home » Audio » General » Might be amusing
Re: Several boards have banned him... [message #1683 is a reply to message #1682] Sat, 07 May 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I know; I didn't want to call the devil but It was funny to see this elaberate forum site with a guy writing all his own posts and answering them. Sort of like if you wrote all the questions for the AUF then answered them yourself.

Re: Might be amusing [message #1685 is a reply to message #1681] Sun, 08 May 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a healthy attitude to me!

Re: Might be amusing [message #1686 is a reply to message #1680] Sun, 08 May 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Another thing is that millions of people read every post. Sometimes, people forget that. It's not like a private conversation in a small room with just a few people around. I know I have overlooked the numbers of readers in the past, and I've spoken as if messageboard dialogs were private conversations with limited readership. But that isn't the case. These dialogs are very public, and millions of people read them.

Re: Might be amusing [message #1687 is a reply to message #1673] Sun, 08 May 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have zero patience with the R le Cat types on audio forums. These forums reflect the real world of diverse personality types, and like the real world you find a broad range of behaviors. Some people are always nice, others are always nasty, most fall somewhere in between. Most of us are abrasive from time to time, but if our overall intentions are good, others find it easy to overlook our bad posts. And if someone tactfully points out that we are out of line, we are able to see that and we respond appropriately in our future posts. But a few unbalanced people somehow decide it's fun to draw attention to themselves by attacking and insulting others. Eventually they become locked into this pattern and couldn't change if they wanted to.

In my early days as an HR manager I thought I could help these people in my organization to change by reasoning with them. Waste of time. I eventually came to recognize the only way to deal with these types was to warn them, which they always object to in their usual aggressive and insulting way, then to fire them when their behavior didn't change. I didn't fire them because they made me uncomfortable and mad, but because of the havoc they caused among their peers. Otherwise productive people would become intimidated in meetings and distracted from their work - good people began to feel stressed, mistakes increased, and productivity declined.

It's the same on an audio forum. One really obnoxious person can chase away the most knowledgable contributors; the people you most want to be active on the forum. If you delete one of their posts they will use the "censorship" card in subsequent posts to create more havoc. So the best remedy is to warn them privately then ban them permanently.

Re: Might be amusing [message #1688 is a reply to message #1686] Sun, 08 May 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I used to have post exchanges with a guy on another forum and he was aggressive, argued everything, had to have the last word on any topic. He became more aggressive the less I responded, I just could not be bothered arguing trivia with the guy and having every post critiqued. So I just stopped responding. He was, and still is, a very volatile contributor who can not handle people questioning his opinions or positions on speaker design related topics. I stopped bothering with him several years ago.

I met him a year or two later, in person, at an audio get together. He was completely different! Mild, amusing, personable, not at all the faceless high strung guy on the Internet. Hiding behind an alias on the Internet changes people, and not always for the better.

Online and In person are sometimes very different [message #1689 is a reply to message #1688] Sun, 08 May 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I know that I get along with folks more in person than online in the forums. Sometimes I try and convey my thoughts online and find that I might have offended someone (unintentionally), but the results are the same as if I had intended to insult them.

I have been on several forums and conversed with many folks, but I really exchange conversation more often after I have had the opportunity to meet them in person so they and I both learn each others mindsets and levels of humor.

In person can explain many things about people, and having a face to remember with the name makes conversing that much easier.

Online just like in real life, there are some good, some bad, and some just plain ugly types. But the world is compromised of all of us and we still need to learn how to get along as a people.

Ron

Re: might have offended someone [message #1690 is a reply to message #1689] Sun, 08 May 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It also appears to be the case these days that people, whether in on-line or real life, spend an extraordinary amount of time and energy seeking out things to be offended about.

In America, no slight (real or imagined) is too insignificant to be overlooked.

Which, I truly feel, is the potential problem with banning people. I'm just not sure about the value of silencing any voice because other people may lack the self-control, maturity or perspective to simply ignore a provocateur rather than engage in a crusade. Once in a while even The Cat has something worthwhile to say.

Re: might have offended someone [message #1691 is a reply to message #1690] Sun, 08 May 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know Charlie; thats right. Like they say about Supreme Court rulings; the petitioners are always the weakest part of the case.
I would never had been exposed to the concept of using Air capacitors if it wasn't for that nit-wit.
The real problem with forums is in the past 50 yrs. the concept of communicating through writing has virtually disappaered until recently with the popularity of the internet. No one has a well grounded skill at written communication anymore. That is why the SAT's now include the essay component; to address that situation.

Re: might have offended someone [message #1693 is a reply to message #1691] Sun, 08 May 2005 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Refusing to give a person access to a microphone is not the same as silencing them. They are always free to get their own microphone. That's not censorship, and it isn't silencing anyone.

At least five people felt strongly enough to voice their opinion about the dregs of the internet on this thread. Two of them have done literally thousands of hours of work, provided freely for DIY enthusiasts and hobbyists to use. They stated basically that if those kinds of people are allowed to post their rantings on a discussion site, they will not participate there. It made them uncomfortable. I know each of these people and none of them are mal-adjusted or thin skinned. They just don't like being around emotional sickness, and are smart enough to remove themselves from environments where it exists. These people have said, "it's either them or us."

So, given this choice, who do we want here?

Remember how these guys have acted in the past. We're talking about the most offensive insults, stuff that would be censored from radio and television. And even if you don't agree with those sets of standards, and I would probably stand with you there, the guys we're talking about have attacked some of your friends most viciously. So who do we stand with?

Fully 100% of the posts made on ART from either of the offenders have been completely against the rules. Nothing but ad hominem attacks, and bad ones too, stuff like calling a man's wife an anal sex whore. Those kinds of posts have no value, except to start fights. And even on other messageboards where I've seen them make occasional posts that weren't attacking someone, they do not have any technical merits. They make suggestions that are no more useful than telling someone to try anti-freeze coolant in their oil pan. You can defend their ability to have a voice, but you cannot make a case that their arguments have any technical value.

One of these two guys was banned from a trade show, with the police on guard watching for them. That's how bad a tone they had set with their antics. No, not antics, their sickness. When it goes that far, we're talking about more than inappropriate E-Mail's or posts - We're talking about a volatile situation spilling over. If this guy had come to the trade show, someone might have gotten hurt and probably gone to jail.

So this isn't about the appropriateness of a post or two, it isn't about censorship, and it isn't about finding some sort of value hidden in the ramblings of an eccentric person. This is about enforcing a set of standards of decency. This is the Round Table, not the Asylum. It's about safety for the participants here, both emotionally and in some cases, even physically. If a person can't be decent, can't respect a set of ethical standards and abide by basic rules, then they cannot participate here. If a person cannot exist in society without stealing, raping and killing, they can't be free either. They are incarcerated, banned from society.

If an offensive person changes, then that's something to look at. I would personally embrace them with open arms. I've known a lot of people that have changed their lives completely. Occasionally, you'll see a complete alcoholic rise up and become a useful member of society. After a couple of years, I've seen people change so much you literally don't recognize them anymore. A drunken addicted thief becomes more pure hearted than a priest. I've seen it. You just can't imagine them being as dark as they once were. So that can happen, and I'd embrace anyone that turned this way, perhaps even more so than someone who had never been ugly and turned good. The change is so amazing, it is just great to see.

But until and unless this complete change occurs, and I choose not to allow unacceptable behavior to be around me, online or otherwise. I think that is what others have said on his thread too. It isn't about censorship at all.

Re: might have offended someone [message #1695 is a reply to message #1693] Sun, 08 May 2005 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Allow me to clarify. I agree 100% with everything you just said.
Don't look to me to defend that kind of behaviour; you got the wrong guy; that has nothing to do with cencoreship. Cencoreship is about the content of ideas not a license to insult.
As far as the air capacitors; I would rather I never heard of them than to be a party to stupidity; because after all, stupidity is the only real crime there is.
But since I did hear of them, I wouldn't mind a discussion of some meritt since they seem appropriate for RIAA circuits; thats the only reason I brought it up. It might have appeared I had some small measure of sympathy or empathy for this guy. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have none. And never will; and I don't believe people change; does the leopard change his spots?
As far as cencoreship goes; if this was my forum?, one personal attack of the nature you describe; banned for life no parole period. Don't even ask. I don't care if you have wings and a harp.

Previous Topic: To All the Dear Mothers of You Mutha's...
Next Topic: An observation from GPAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:27:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout